The Best Crafts Forums in the UK
ickle pickle

Slow cooker recipes anybody?

Oooh I only just spotted this thread!

My slow cooker is donkey's years old and only has one setting. I use it mostly for bean stews (yes DH does all the jokes, if its been stew what is it now etc etc), not a particular recipe just a chuck in whatever I've got type stew. I soak three of four types of dried pulses overnight, boil them fast for 10 mins then drain and put in slow cooker with a tin of tomatoes, chopped onion, some carrots, swede, sweet potato, pearl barley, or whatever is around, a stock cube and bouquet garni and top up with boiling water. If I'm puting mushrooms in I wait till nearly the end before adding them or they disintegrate. Its always good and tasty whatever the combination! I aded a teaspoon of Marmite last week but didn't tell DH till afterwards as I'm a Marmite lover and he hates it. Sometimes I add Worcestershire sauce or a few drops of tabasco. He said it was tasty till he knew what was in it!

I shall certainly try some of these recipes too, there are some lovely ones posted on here. I was going to do a turkey drumstick in it this week but the darned thing is too big! It will just have to go in the oven instead...

Just waded through this thread and picked up some lovely recipes, thank you paperkate. Also thank you to Stacey27 for recomending the site.

I have a slow cooker which I use all the time in the winter, but mainly for batch cooking for the 2 of us. Some of the things I make are beef bourguignonne, goulash, bolognaise soups stews and I love a gammon done in apple juice.

Well will have to try the rice pudding, it sounds delicious.