The Best Crafts Forums in the UK
ickle pickle

Slow cooker recipes anybody?

Hi everyone. I was just wondering if anybody had any good slow cooker recipes? I have just got my slow cooker out and dusted it off but I can't find the instruction booklet :red: so if you do have any recipes you can recommend can you please also let me know whether to set it on slow, medium or high ;-) and another other slow cooker tips you may have. I have heard that you can chuck a chicken in one and slap the slow cooker on for a few hours and then come back to a chicken that literally falls off the bone. Has anybody ever done this and if so how? do you have to put any water or stock in too?

Cheers ears :)

Ickle Pickle,

I just love my slow cooker and use it nearly every week.

2 important things:

1. You don't need as much juice in as normal oven made casserole or stew - about a mugful is all you need, because it doesn't evaporate away.

2. Any seasoning or flavours that you want to use - you need more - about 3 times more than normal or the taste just disappears. So herbs and spices get 2-3 tsps where you might normally only go for a half tsp! Quite often a whole garlic bulb goes in. Scrummy.

You are absolutely right about the chicken idea.

I'll get the slow cooking books out and send you some of my faves.

What sort of things do you like making?

Oh thanks ladies ;-) I'm on a Slimming World diet but my biggest thing is habitual snacking LOL. I never eat a full meal as I feel full very quickly but then I could eat a scabby dog an hour later LOL. So I figured to stop my grazing on bad stuff. I'd make some filling stews atc that I can keep on dipping into. Plus my OH is back working away agin tomorrow and with my arm and bad back from the crash. I want to attempt to chucking something in the slow cooker in the morning and then it will be ready for myself and the kids at tea time. Nothings out of bounds foodwise on SW and if there is a ingredient that isn't very healthy I can just substitute it I'm getting pretty good at that LOL.

I made the most gorgeous soup I have ever tasted today to snack on. I didn't think it looked like it was going to thicken up until I blended it. OMG it was so thick and creamy tasting and not even low fat but no fat :bug: it was a spicy carrott and pasnip soup. It was kind of sweet with a spicy savoury afterkick. My OH has almost devoured it LOL. Going to make another batch tonight.

How do you cook a chicken in it Kate?

Might have to follow same route as you Ickle and make loads a soups, as my SW diet has gone haywire these past 2 weeks. Ate a big bag of Chocolate buttons today while ironing. OH after saying to me- do you want a glass of red wine & I shouted, NOOOOOOOO. Knowing I would love one- did not tell him about the choccy buttons.Another lovely soup is Vine tomatoes & red pepper. If you want recipe I will get it for you.GH

Shame on you :lol: I adore chocolate buttons how may syns are they? I do have a tomato and red pepper soup recipe out of a low fat cook book so it may be different to mine. I'm just about to tuck into a cup of carrot and spicy parsnip soup actually. It's deeeeeelicious, I'll take a piccie for you and pop the recipe on for you later :)