The Best Crafts Forums in the UK
Cosine

Beginner:What pens to use for cards?

Hi! I've been googling and googling but I just can't fine the answer.

I'm just entering the world of cardmaking and was wondering what pens you are supposed to use for colouring and adding detail.

I know they should be waterproof but is there other requirements.

Also what pens fulfil these requirements? I don't want to pay for expensive ones when cheaper ones do the job fine.

And whats the big deal with pro markers!

Hi and welcome to the forum  :)

If you want to colour in stamped images there are two basic types of colouring pens, water-based and alcohol-based.  Different people prefer one or the other, there is no "right" pen.  Water-based ones can be scribbled onto a tile or plate and then picked up with a damp bush so you can paint with them to get a watercolour effect if you like.  The alcohol based ones (such as Promarkers and Copics) can be layered to blend colours.  Just depends what you want to do with them.  I've got both types and use them depending on what effect I want, subtle watercolour or dense/bright colours.  There are also new Chameleon pens that get lighter or darker as you use them but I've not tried them myself.

Have a look on YouTube to see what effect you fancy and the best way to get it.  There are some really helpful videos on there with different techniques and effects, just put in the pen brand and see what comes up!

You'll also need to choose the right ink pad and paper for whichever type of pen you want to use: watercolour paper and waterproof ink pad for water-based pens or smooth surfaced non-absorbent paper and water-based ink for alcohol based pens.  The pens will make the stamped image run if you get it the other way round so have a practice first if you're not sure. 

I like having double-ended pens - they have a fine nib one end and a brush type nib on the other, so you get two for the price of one.  If you want to use cheap pens you'll have to experiment with them to see what they can and can't do.  If you can get several shades of the colours you are likely to use you should be able to do a bit of shading with them.

Good pens are pricey but I tend to wait till the sales to get a bargain.  And you can buy exactly what colours you need and build up your collection gradually, you don't need to buy whole sets of them at once.

I hope this gives you a bit of an overview, if I can shed any more light please do ask  :)

Hi and welcome to the forum  :)

If you want to colour in stamped images there are two basic types of colouring pens, water-based and alcohol-based.  Different people prefer one or the other, there is no "right" pen.  Water-based ones can be scribbled onto a tile or plate and then picked up with a damp bush so you can paint with them to get a watercolour effect if you like.  The alcohol based ones (such as Promarkers and Copics) can be layered to blend colours.  Just depends what you want to do with them.  I've got both types and use them depending on what effect I want, subtle watercolour or dense/bright colours.  There are also new Chameleon pens that get lighter or darker as you use them but I've not tried them myself.

Have a look on YouTube to see what effect you fancy and the best way to get it.  There are some really helpful videos on there with different techniques and effects, just put in the pen brand and see what comes up!

You'll also need to choose the right ink pad and paper for whichever type of pen you want to use: watercolour paper and waterproof ink pad for water-based pens or smooth surfaced non-absorbent paper and water-based ink for alcohol based pens.  The pens will make the stamped image run if you get it the other way round so have a practice first if you're not sure. 

I like having double-ended pens - they have a fine nib one end and a brush type nib on the other, so you get two for the price of one.  If you want to use cheap pens you'll have to experiment with them to see what they can and can't do.  If you can get several shades of the colours you are likely to use you should be able to do a bit of shading with them.

Good pens are pricey but I tend to wait till the sales to get a bargain.  And you can buy exactly what colours you need and build up your collection gradually, you don't need to buy whole sets of them at once.

I hope this gives you a bit of an overview, if I can shed any more light please do ask  :)

Bless you! Thank you so much for the comprehensive answer!  I do have one question, since Im just trialing card making Im just going to get like a pack of 100 blank folded cards. I'm orried about the bleedthrough from the markers on that type of card .So I tried a gel pen and it seems to be waterproof and doesn't smudge ( unless you press is hard and then only a bit)  Have you ever used gel pens with stencils.  Or the prismacolor pencils?

Do you think it could work?

I quite like adding detail with gel pens (I wouldn't be without  black, white, gold and silver!)  I find they don't smudge if you leave them for a few minutes.  I can't get them to colour evenly without "skipping"  but mine were very cheap and are now many years old.  I'm a sucker for the sparkly ones though :)

I haven't got any prismacolor pencils, mine are Caran D'Ache watercolour pencils, which I love.  They are lovely to colour with and work fine with stencils but I tend to go over them with a wet brush afterwards to get the full watercolour effect.