The Best Crafts Forums in the UK
TheTinMan

Wedding Cakes

Hi all,

My brother has asked my girlfriend and I if we'd like to bake him some cakes for his wedding this September. Now we haven't had all that much experience of baking but we do really enjoy it.

It's not a huge wedding - there's going to be about 70 - 80 people there. As we've never baked a wedding cake we thought it might be best to do a whole load of cupcakes and present them nicely. I was wondering if anyone had any tips on what they could look like or how they could be presented that they could share with us.

Oh I'll be baking some cup cakes later this month for a Garden Tea Party

I make a selection of flavours of cake and of the icing.

I know a lot of people love chocolate

and lemon is a another favourite.

You can make plain vanilla cakes with orange/lemon topping or chocolate.

I lovely way to present them is on those lovely 3 tier cake stands.  I was given one by a friend.

or a one tier cake stand with strings of silver beads (the ones you get at Christmas for decorating the Christmas tree) spilling around the bottom of the cake stand with real flower or flower petals and confetti around the bottom of the stand.

If you don't have a cake stand but you have a very pretty white plate you can place a large cake onto that then to make the cake stand up higher like a cake stand does.  I would suggest finding a box the size of your cake plate cover it with some white satin or silk flowing onto the table add a few rose's around  the bottom where the silk flows onto the table, it will look very romantic.

Two things I've seen popular in the US lately for displaying cup cakes are firstly... make cup cakes, often two different flavours, Then cluster them together on a large tray, usually one flavour one side the other flavour the other but still clustered close together, you can put them in a circle or a heart shape or whatever, then iced as though one large cake. If you are confident enough to ice them on the day and you need a lot or cakes you don't need a tray just some baking parchment or similar on the table and the cakes put on that you could then have a huge cupcake display. You can decorate around the cup cakes by scattering candy or confetti or something on the table

The other thing I've seen are tiered stands specially designed for holding cup cakes usually wire stands with circles to sit each cup cake in individually, but I've seen other ones that are more like tiered plates both circular and square.

Also popular is putting some of the topping or a flavouring inside the cake, you can get little gadgets that stamp out the centre of the cupcake then you can either switch the stamped out bits, for instance if you had chocolate cakes and vanilla cakes you stamp out the middles and switch so the vanilla have chocolate inside and the chocolate have vanilla inside. Or you can stamp out the inside, spoon in a little of the icing or some jam or some small pieces of candy or even jelly, then cutting the top part off the stamped out piece you replace it so now one knows of the surprise centres and ice the cake as normal. 

Aisles, I'd love to see the photos of your cakes when they're done. If you can manage to take some snaps before they're gobbled up.

I think chocolate and lemon is a good combination. We'll almost definitely make something lemony because my girlfriend and I love lemon and so does the rest of my family. As for the stands I think this is what we will probably do. I've been browsing for inspiration on Pinterest and even with a set of simple stands you can make an arrangement that looks really effective.

Towst, could you post a photo of the cupcakes iced as one big cake that you mentioned? It sounds intriguing.

Haha wow I would love to try something like adding a flavouring to the inside but I think we'd need a lot of practice to get the technique right first. It sound's tricky!

I can't find the photo of my son's cake, however if you do a search on a popular search engine that we all know and love for cupcake cakes and click images I think you will find some. When I searched I did also see simple cupcakes with white icing arranged on a tiered display tray like a wedding cake with real flowers dotted around the whole thing it looked really pretty, however the top tier was a normal cake, so the bride and groom have something to cut.