The Best Crafts Forums in the UK
Bexx87

who knits for charity?

I am currently trying to knit some Chihuahuas for a local small dog and cat charity, they supplied me the pattern and I knitted the body wrong on both attempts but they said they will still take them any way, I have completed a grey and black on (which looks more like a kola bear than a dog) and am in the process of stuffing him and Im doing a cream and brown once Ive done that Im going to do a black and white one.

I was also thinking about knitting blankets for a charity supporting disabled children, I have found one but haven't really looked into it, if Headway would take knitted stuff I would give it to them but I don't think they do (as I have a head injury)

There are many other charities who will take knitted items.  Don't know of one connected to head injuries but I send my stuff to Preemies UK. They send items to over 170 hospitals around the UK for prem and angel babies. I also make blankets hats mitts and scarves for a local homeless charity

If you want any further info let me know.

Another forum member might be aware of a charity within your spec

Before I moved down south My mother and I knitted for the local animal shelter charity shop.  We made dog coats, little jackets for ex battery hens (they would often come from the battery farm with most of their feather's missing and suffer from the cold so the jackets kept them warm until new feathers grow) Blankets for cats and dogs and stuffed pet toys.

Some would be sold in the charity shop to raise funds some would go be used for the rescued animals.

They would often give me old jumpers that were not good enough to be sold in the charity shop ie they had holes in them.  I would cut out the good parts and sew them together to form patchwork blankets for the cats and dogs.

Mine is pretty indirect..but I knit & sew for a local nature reserve..they hold a fair to raise funds. .also for our village group. .they raise money for the village who in turn run a live at home scheme for those who can't get out among other activities and also do bits for a care home.

Fun to do and uses up my vast stash that for some reason gets bigger?

Recently I have joined a new group Needles Hooks Angels and Preemies. They send items to over 130 hospitals as well as individual angel memory and preemie packs directly to parents. They also support the homeless, people with dementia and childrens cancer wards