#1 Posted 01 September 2014 - 05:15 PM

marys magical
marys magical

• Members
    Pip
  • 5 posts
  • Members
  • LocationIreland

I want to get a dye cutting machine (late birthday present ) but I can't decide whether to get a big shot or cuttlebug

.Along with papercrating I also enjoy sewing and was hoping I could get a machine that will also me cut out shape to applique. I've heard you can cut out felt and material with the big shot . but I'm not sure about the cuttlebut. some sites I've looked at say you can and some you can't.  Can you use any dyes on both machines or do they have to be that specific brand - thanks for any help

#2 Posted 01 September 2014 - 09:32 PM

Goose
Goose

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • 14,066 posts
  • Moderators
  • LocationNewcastle upon Tyne UK

I have a big shot and it cuts lots of different materials including fabric. I love it

#3 Posted 02 September 2014 - 10:26 AM

AngelGoneMad
AngelGoneMad

Advanced Member

• Members
    PipPipPip
  • 291 posts
  • Members
  • LocationScotland

Hi Mary,

I have a big shot and you can cut out fabric with it, but you need to make sure you are using the corrects dies and plates. Also with big shot you are limited to what size you can cut (depending on what model you buy).

Cuttlebug - I don't have one so not too sure about cutting out fabric with it but I know again you are restricted to the size of cut outs you can do depending on what model you buy.

Regarding different brand dies, if it's a hand crank one then as long as the die fits on the cutting boards you can use any brand. You just need make sure you create the correct sandwich of cutting plates etc to get the desired result.

#4 Posted 08 March 2016 - 01:14 PM

Goose
Goose

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • 14,066 posts
  • Moderators
  • LocationNewcastle upon Tyne UK

Hi Toni  I have a big shot which I use for cutting fabric for quilting and I also have a rotary cutter especially for shapes that I don't have a die for.

If it was possible I would love to have all quilting dies as it is so much quicker for cutting out shapes.

I daresay there are people who prefer a rotary cutter.

Its very much each to his or her own

#5 Posted 09 April 2016 - 06:24 PM

artym
artym

artym

• Members
    PipPipPip
  • 2,147 posts
  • Members
  • LocationHigh Wycombe, Buckinghamshire
I have had a Big Shot for a couple of years and love this little machine.....I recently bought the Big Shot Plus but for me I cannot see any advantage as it is rather heavy for my arthritic hands...I should have returned it, but have decided my little machine must stay and the Big Shot Plus will go...not sure yet...mind you if someone wants it I would consider it......I have used the larger machine a couple of times, but anyone with arthritic hands it is a heavy machine....and we could do with the space....Probably advertise it on our local fb pages.

..Smile, then everyone will wonder what you have been up to...... :wub: :rolleyes: ;) :) :huh: ........

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users