The Best Crafts Forums in the UK
Sign in to follow this  
AngelGoneMad

Summerhouse Craft Room Help

Hi all,

Looking for a one advice!

With the impending birth of our second child my other half has decided to get some of our garden done and one of the things is a summerhouse come craft area for my crafts (as it's currently taking up waaaaay too much space in our bedroom which we need for our little one joining us and we only have a two bedroomed house so no other space in house to stash my stash lol).

The plan is to have the summerhouse/log cabin/exotic shed (whatever it's called lol) insulated and have power running to it. I was wondering what sort of things do I need to consider storage wise of my materials in regards to weather? My biggest concern is electrical goods and my paper/card stock. I don't want them to be stored down there and end up getting ruined because of the cold/too warm temperatures (I live in Scotland so more likely the former). So do any of you have suggestions on how to keep my materials and equipment stored safely to prevent damage?

Also just any other storage/organisations tips/techniques would be helpful because I want to make the most of my space in the cabin and don't want to take it over completely with just craft stuff..want it to be a place we can enjoy also as a family.

Thanks in advance :)

Edited by AngelGoneMad

Hi I have a cabin for all my wood work machines and other craft things . If you are going to insulate the walls and the roof, then that will be enough to keep the cold out. The craft items I have are stored in big flip top plastic containers that stack one on top of the other I can see through them so I know what is inside them . My cabin is not insulated but as I live in the south east of England the stuff inside does not deteriorate, plus I would like a little pot belly wood burner which would be surrounded by fire resistant panels and stand on a slate hearth.

For more ideas I watch George Clarks small spaces programme on channel 4 on a Thursday. He has some great ideas for building and storage.

Well angelgonemad...do take note of what Stakreem says as she does so many different crafts and really does know what she is talking about...and very good advice.....I find my storage has to be within our little flat, but have found space withi a clothes cupoard for storing paper goods by buying the A4  plastic boxes, sticking labels on the front.... not much more advice I can offer but that may be useful.....

A friend has a craft shed, she has heating but only uses in when she really has to, hers is well insulated, for storage ..she does a lot of textiles, again plastic tough boxes with well fitting lids, fabric and yarns are stored in the bags you take air out of using a vacuum , she says these bags seal so well damp never gets in, although guess they may not be as good for paper? Her sewing machines are there all year.

Thanks for the suggestions/tips. Will keep them in mind :)

Stakreem, we have been watching George Clark's programmes and I find some of things on their fantastic..just unfortunately don't have the same kinda budget LOL. But it is good for sparkinng off ideas..although saying that I haven't had any yet haha!

Edited by AngelGoneMad