The Best Crafts Forums in the UK
Sign in to follow this  
knittingqueenuk

Samba Bag

The Rowan yarn has 113m for 50g and the Pastons 210M for 100g so there should have been enough on two balls of the yarn I used even though I crocheted the straps. I only have 15g left out of 400g which seems strange to me.

Hi ladies,

I've just weighed the sample bag that we photographed and it weighs 280g - that includes all the fabric and the interfacing. 

I can't take the sample apart to just weigh the knitted section, I'm afraid but as the whole bag weighs less the yarn you've used, I can't work out what's happened here. Pure cotton is much heavier than a wool-cotton blend but given your meterage you should still have been covered.

Is your tension correct? Are your dimensions looking similar to those given? Have you made any extra panels (you should have one front, one back, one base, two sides and two straps)?

Sorry to quiz you, just trying to work out what might have happened!

Thanks!

A :)

Hi Adrienne,

Yes I did make the bag a little longer and crochet the handles but not to the extent of the difference in yarn, my tension is correct but I did only yarn forward instead of wrapping the yarn around the needle twice as it looked too loose and untidy before.

I am going to knit another one in a different yarn and see what happens, as you say pure cotton is heavier. This time I'm trying bamboo to use some more of my stash up. The extra yarn wasn't a problem as I needed to use this yarn up. I will post a picture of the bag when I get round to a machine sewing day.