The Best Crafts Forums in the UK
Sign in to follow this  
AbstractAstra

Are you making Christmas presents?

I really love hearing about handmade gifts and wondered what people on here are making for Christmas. :)

I have plans, but have yet to do anything! Got somewhat sidetracked with my online shops and the challenges on here....

Anyway, for my Dad and his wife I bought a print called Spanish Kitchen II that I think they'll love (my Dad is an artist and likes collecting work) although unfortunately it's not signed or anything. I've also bought a wee blank wooden spoon and am going to do a pyrography design on it to match the print, then I'll drill a hole and add something to hang it up.

For my partner's dad and his wife, I've bought a charity gift of winter clothes abroad for a child - they worked in a very poor country and it's close to their hearts. I'm going to make a felt decoration that looks like a tiny jumper, so they have a wee keepsake to hang up.

Those are the only two definite handmade presents so far. My partner has a stocking I made for him a couple of years ago and I'd like to use it again this year. He's difficult to buy for as we've been decluttering and have no extra space! But I'm hoping to fill the stocking with a mixture of little handmade and bought things that he'll really like. I'd also like to do a mini painting for a friend who has been very supportive, and hopefully some Christmas cards or ATCs.

:P

I am, for the couples in the family I am making paper decorations based on the project in one of the LMCs. To go with it I found some nice glass bottles which I am going to paint and fill with flavoured oils I will make. The local ceramic painting studio has sets of ducks, which sister in law collects so we'll make them for her. I am going to make finger puppets or hand puppets from felt for my cousin's little girl. Maybe some bath goodies will be in the mix for some of the girls too.

Last year I bought a huge amount of small votives and painted little Christmas motifs on them. Then I bought some gold, red and glass plates to go with them to make a nice Christmas centre piece. The year before I made the gingerbread houses in my avitar. I hadn't started crafting then, I just liked to bake and we were a bit strappd for cash and they seemed like a good idea. They went down really well.

I am, for the couples in the family I am making paper decorations based on the project in one of the LMCs. To go with it I found some nice glass bottles which I am going to paint and fill with flavoured oils I will make. The local ceramic painting studio has sets of ducks, which sister in law collects so we’ll make them for her. I am going to make finger puppets or hand puppets from felt for my cousin’s little girl. Maybe some bath goodies will be in the mix for some of the girls too.

Last year I bought a huge amount of small votives and painted little Christmas motifs on them. Then I bought some gold, red and glass plates to go with them to make a nice Christmas centre piece. The year before I made the gingerbread houses in my avitar. I hadn’t started crafting then, I just liked to bake and we were a bit strappd for cash and they seemed like a good idea. They went down really well.

Ooh, how exciting! What paper decs are you going to make? Will you wrap them up? Love the idea of going to a ceramic painting studio. The candles and plates sound lovely, do you have any pictures? I'd love to try baking too, so the gingerbread houses sound fantastic.

Any pictures most welcome. :)

Seaweed, that's my problem too. There are ones who appreciate it, but most of them - especially the men! - don't want something handmade and 'useless'.... :-S I'd like to be able to do more practical crafts - I'm thinking I'd like to learn to crochet next year (a resolution?) so maybe next year everyone will get scarves! Christmas can be so expensive, I think it's nicer to just give token gifts.

Knew I forgot something! I got in touch with my elderly grandfather a few years ago, after us not talking for many years. I now write him letters and send photos, and we've built up a good relationship through that. I want to make him something either for Christmas or his birthday (15th Dec), and I think I might try for a mini photo book - I'm not sure if it'll be family pictures or ones I've taken that I think he'll like; the plus side of ones I've taken is that I can write wee comments and anecdotes to go with them. I'm going to ask my Mum's opinion. The problem with family pics is that there are so many I couldn't send as our family has basically been ripped in two! I'd need to make sure certain people weren't in the pics. Anyway, I really hope I can do something nice for him; I know the letters mean a lot and I think a gift like that would too. Apparently he keeps all my letters in a box under his desk and no one else gets to read them. :)

On a side note, December is so expensive for me! Birthdays are as follows: My nephew, my grandfather, a Post Pals girl I send gifts to, my partner, my brother, my partner's mother's partner! Lol, it gets confusing.