The Best Crafts Forums in the UK
Adrienne Chandler

COPYRIGHT ISSUES

Hi everyone,

Just wanted to post a reminder to about the issue of copyright with knitting patterns. Although we all like to be as helpful as possible, photocopying patterns to send to other members, whether they're from our magazines, other titles, books or pattern leaflets, is an infringement of copyright.

If you are searching for a pattern, the best thing to do is contact the original pattern provider or publisher and see if they'll be able to help.

We don't want to upset anyone or get anyone into trouble so please don't send photocopied patterns to each other.

Many thanks

Adrienne

:)

Hi everyone, Just wanted to post a reminder to about the issue of copyright with knitting patterns. Although we all like to be as helpful as possible, photocopying patterns to send to other members, whether they're from our magazines, other titles, books or pattern leaflets, is an infringement of copyright. If you are searching for a pattern, the best thing to do is contact the original pattern provider or publisher and see if they'll be able to help. We don't want to upset anyone or get anyone into trouble so please don't send photocopied patterns to each other. Many thanks Adrienne :)

Thank you Adrienne.......I had been under the wrong impression re copyright of patterns....I thought it ok to photo copy to send to friends, but the copyright would come into force if they were to be re-sold....so thank you for putting me right on that one.....I know copyright is a difficult area sometimes as I had to be careful when selling my paintings in the past....(not an issue for me as I never copied anyone elses work), but I had friends who had to be careful when they used photos for reference etc........thanks again...Mary

Edited by artym

Copyright all so applies if you make a garment/toy/throw etc from a published pattern or copy a registered toy i.e. Thomas the tank engine or Bing to sell you infringe copyright if you do not have direct permission of the original designer. Designers like Alan Dart pay an enormous amount for a licence to be allowed to design these.

Also now if you are selling knitted/crocheted/sewn toys you have to by law to have a CE certificate, oddsandsoxlets.co.uk have all the information on their website. This also applies if you are giving them to a charity for them to sell.