The Best Crafts Forums in the UK
Sign in to follow this  
victorialouise27

I'm a bad girl.....

So, on buying a strapless dress for a party next week, the ever-so-helpful-but-very-young changing room assistant suggested that I need something across my shoulders. At the time, I snarled a "no," thinking about the lovely dimples in my shoulders and showing off a graceful back. Then today trying on the strapless bra that I need for the dress, in a grown-up's changing room with those mirrors that give you a 360-degree view of one's "extra" bits that are acquired over the years......

Knowing full well that I had nothing suitable in my extensive stash (I'm sure you all know the feeling ;-) I found myself drawn into the LYS to buy a ball of, well I intended it to be the cheapest mohair I could find, to make a wrap, but came out £12.25 the poorer but a ball of Fyberspates Scrumptious the richer.

220m in the hank, I'm now frantically trying to do the maths to work out how many stitches to cast on in order to make the wrap wide enough but also long enough! I'm going to use a basic garter stitch with a dropped stitch row, to get the wrap as long as possible, on the biggest needles that will maintain a bit of structure to the thing. I want to make the most of this yarn because I really, really, really cannot afford it and I certainly cannot afford to buy another hank if I run out!

Isn't it gorgeous?

Victoria

Oh beautiful! Hope you work out how many stitches you need and yes I certainly know all about looking behind you in the mirror and having your jaw drop as you didn't realise exactly how time had changed the look from behind :lol:

that is gorgeous yarn, and well worth it mate.

btw, i remember going into a changing room and looking in the 360 mirror and thinking "oh that poor woman, her curtain has come open and she's showing everyone her bum".................. I think we all know where this story's heading dont we.......................... :red:

xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Thank you everyone for your support! And the £60 bra that I've had to buy LOL!

I cast on 50 stitches on 8mm needles, 3 rows knit and then a row of wrapping yarn twice round rh needle and dropping the extra loop on the next row, made about a metre in length. Wasn't enough, so i've just ripped it (difficult as the yarn is fluffy) and started again with 30 stitches, so hopefully the finished wrap/shawl will be getting on for twice as long.

BBFN, I've got another metre and a half to go!

Victoria x

Gosh, I'd almost forgotten this!

Yes, I did get something made - 30 stitches and a pattern of 3 rows plain knit, 4th row K but wrapping yarn twice round the needle then dropping the extra loop on the following row - lo and behold a lovely soft and surprisingly warm evening stole. It looked a treat, shame I forgot to take a photo on the night.

So although the yarn was expensive, I've ended up with a lovely thing that would have cost much more than the yarn if I'd had to buy a pashmina or something similar. But then we don't need much of an excuse to buy yarn!

Had a lovely night thank you very much and OH won a silver dish-type-thing as a trophy for coming third in his club championship (motorbike racing).

Its now become a very cosy scarf which is much needed right now.

Keep warm everyone and all the best

Victoria

post-51080-13668165723419_thumb.jpg