The Best Crafts Forums in the UK
Sign in to follow this  
Tuggybear

A Very Sad Goodbye to One of Our Horses.

Today we bade a very sad farewell to Charlie, the 38yr old gelding I found advertised on ebay for 1p about 4.5-5 years ago. He went down in the field and was unable to get back up despite our attempts to help him. Before the vet came we hand fed him his tea and his favourite treats... Hot Cross Buns.. and as many carrots and polo mints as he wanted and then he went very peacefully to wait for us at Rainbow Bridge.

In his younger days Charlie had been owned by an Horourable somebody and kept in the lap of luxury in stables in Epping Forest. He was weatherby's branded under the mane and had obviously been bred from top class parents. His life consisted of hunting and entering shows under his name of Wellington. As he got older he was sold on and eventually ended up in a tiny field with three other big horses. The owner needed to rehome Charlie who was thought to be about 28 but must have been already over 30. (We traced his past via a freezemark on his back.) He was not holding his weight and was not good at fighting the other horses for his share of the food. She advertised him on ebay and when i saw his details I immediately offered him a home. Less than a week later Charlie was moved to Leicester.

By this time Charlie had three names (None of them Wellington!), had suffered a serious trailer accident just a couple of months before and was terrified of loading and travelling so my brother had to travel all the way from Boston to Leicester in the back of the lorry to reassure him. As soon as he came to us he bonded with Catherine, the lady who was to be his carer and he has spent his days with us as a dearly loved and pampered retired gentleman. We thought that Charlie was the name that suited him best and he certainly accepted it as his name.

He will be greatly missed by all at Foll's Field and by Guinness, his best friend since the Day Gin came to us just 2 weeks after Charlie. No more will we be eating our picnic lunch and find our food suddenly dispappear as Charlie sneaks up and helps himself to whatever is in our hands. We will miss his lopsided head whenever we called him. (He would stretch out his neck and tilt his head to one side in such a touching way.) but he will live forever in our hearts.

Night Night, Sweet Prince, Run free at Rainbow Bridge and one day we will be together again. xx

Aw I've got a huge lump in my throat and a tear in my eye, you can be very proud that you gave Charlie an amazing final home, where he could have a wonderful retirement and end his days in love and peace.

Love and hugs

Helen x x x

Lump in my throat too, horses can be so wonderful and you obviously got a lovely old gentleman in Charlie. He would have enjoyed his last years with you and you obviously enjoyed him too.

xxx