The Best Crafts Forums in the UK
Sign in to follow this  
knit&flee

Poopy poppy

I'm so mad with that top, I've hit a brick wall - so did it this morning! :lol: I've finished the main bit of the vest and I have the middle bit of the front on the stitch holder (same with the back). I'm now supposed to pick up stitches to make a border all they way round the neck (front and back), but whatever I try the picked up stitches look really weird and long (like coloured claws) so I've undone them again. I must have done this 3 times before work this morning and I was not amused when it didn't work for a 3rd time. I just don't understand what I'm doing wrong to make it look so bad. Surely there's only 1 way to pick up a stitch? Plus the pattern said to join the shoulder seams, which makes sense until you come to do the border and wonder how to get your straight needles round the whole lot - am I supposed to do it in 2 stages and have a seam on the border? It doesn't make it clear at all. I'm tempted to take it out into the garden and burn it. >:-( :down:

Does anyone know of anything I can try before I completely give up on it? I don't want to be defeated by a silly little vest. I've done a whole cardigan before now, albeit in the same colour and no picking up of stitches involved. How hard can it be?! >:(

Hi k&f - don't give up cos you're nearly there!!

If you find it easier to do the border in 2 & then join it at the shoulder then do that. You could always use a circular needle to do this too in 1 whole piece.Are you using the right size needles to do the border? Usually have to change to a smaller size so the sts are smaller. Why don't you look a a video clip of picking up sts to make sure you're picking up the right bit of the st - it's easier to see what you should be doing. It's hard to tell without physically seeing what you are doing. Hope this helps.

Keep going - you'll be so proud when you post it on the FO thread :cheese:

Buzy

Excellent advise Busy.

I don't know if you have joined one shoulder or two.

I have done similar things and I would say it's best no matter what they say to only join one,that means it's a lot easier to get around a neck and if you don't have circulars(sometimes the case) should cause less problems.

I think there are quite a few ways to pick up and knit. sometimes I just pick them up like little holes instead of proper stitches.

is it in stocking stitch?

I wanted to do that vest and I know what you mean I had problems with that stupid Evie pattern.

I ended up wasting it totally.

Busy is probably right and I think she has given a far more through explanation.

Also I'd go on Yout ube video jug or instructables even when you have donea thing a load of times you might just have forgotten a tiny step(especially if you are good knitter and it sounds like you are!)

ps hope that ddn't sound patronizngI have often been reduced to near tears by this matter.

Oh Buzy and blinx, you 2 are lovely! I was in absolute floods this morning. I'm welling up again just thinking about it. I've never found something so incomprehensible. Well, maybe Japanese, but that's another story. :)

I've joined both shoulders and I'm not sure I'll get them undone again as I pulled them tight to try and hide the seam. Even that didn't work. :down: The main body is st st and the border should be garter I think. I'm getting OH to buy a 3.75mm circ on his way home (1 size smaller than the 4mm for the main body, as prescribed) so I can have a go with that and see if it's any easier.

I've spent so many hours on this top, but I'm so mad with it I don't know if I'll be able to finish it now even if I do figure it out, let alone wear the thing. I think I might have to find something else to knit to cheer me up first! :long:

k&f - this is just an offer & feel free to say no but if you really can't sort it later if you post it to me I'll try & do it for you :-) After all your hard work I'd hate to see it left unfinished - or worse!!!!

Buzy