The Best Crafts Forums in the UK
Sign in to follow this  
Busy Lizzy

Gardening help needed...

Right then let's get you sorted on that one!

Go out the door to the garden in the morning (if it's not raining!) and look at the sun (which, ahem, rises in the east!)

Make a note of where the sun is in the morning (which is the eastern aspect) and watch where it falls on the garden as it sets (the west, hope I'm not offending you?!! :ohh:

Now, stand out in the garden with the east at your right hand and the west at your left hand. Ok? Straight ahead of you is the north of your garden (not a great place, best for shrubs) And behind you is the south (and by far the warmest place, great for fruit and tons of flowers).

So basically if you have an area in the garden that gets a lot of sun most of the day, then that area is south facing as it is in the path of the sun as it travels overhead from East to West.

Hope this helps :) Mental picture of you out in the garden this time tomorrow with your arms outstretched and the neighbours thinking you're doing a scarecrow impersonation!! :lol:

Ok. It's the phrase I'm always unsure of. Cos the I know as I face the front of our house the sun comes from the left to right so the front is our south facing. Hear about south facing on property programmes but then it's the right or left of the property...so I think how can they be south facing!!!!??

Well at least I know what to plant where! Thank you!! I knew this would be the place to ask!!!

Great! Glad you got that sorted, sometimes it's only a matter of visualising it in your head. Good luck with the garden and post some pics.

On the subject of the bulbs I stopped with Gladioli but you can go on through the autumm and even winter flowering bulbs such asAgapanthus,Begonia,Dahlia,Lilium and Cyclamen will even flower at Christmas!!

There are dozens more and I recommend you buy The Bulb Expert by Dr. D.G. Hessayon ISBN 0-903505-42-8 it's about £5.99 and very easy to follow :)

I ache all over..............................

Spent about £100 on compost, feed, plants, pots and garden wire....which was what I was expecting.

Then started....I've done pretty well even if I do say so myself! I've re-potted all the plants, saved 3 of mine and got rid of the rest. Weeded as best I could without dying from back pains. Put some plants in the front and some in the back, I could do with more but there was certainly not enough time before the shops shut and I really don't think I could've made it!

I've just showered and when I can move again I'll take some pics of how I'm doing so far! Thanks for all your advice!!