The Best Crafts Forums in the UK
Sign in to follow this  
doctina

free yarn; issue 16 March 09

we got 2 balls of variegated yarn free with this issue; neither have a label and I can't find anything in the mag itself.

does anyone know what type of yarn this is? I want to use it for something other than the patterns suggested but need to know if it's wool/synthetic etc.

Hi Tina & welcome :-) I would think that the free yarn is acrylic as it's cheaper than anything else & they had to give a lot away!! I would treat it as acrylic. What are you thinking of making? Don't forget you can post piccies for us all to see.

Enjoy your knitting.

Buzyknitting :)

Hi Tina and welcome!

I remember a debate on this on the old LK site and think some came to the conclussion it was somewhere between a DK and an Aran weight and might take 4mm to 4.5mm needles. I'd suggest doing a few rows of stocking stitch and counting how many stiches you get per 10cm to see how it compares to the pattern you want to use. You can always unravel it after and use it for your pattern as there wasn't much! :-)

I did think it was ridiculous to be sent yarn with no details about it...although I do hope we get more as free gifts as I'm fed up of receiving the same things over and over again! (This also applies to other UK knitting magazines)

thanks everyone; it is an acrylic - I'd emailed the magazine and they replied. So, I need to find some natural yarns in my stash or wait until I'm at Woolfest and knit the sheep there.

I mixed it with other yarns and made a scarf of my own design.

Worked out quite well although there were some irregularities in the sort of tension.

was quite nice I think it is acrylic or something synthetic like that.

Dk roughly