The Best Crafts Forums in the UK
Sign in to follow this  
Giddyknits

happy Tuesday!

Yes hayfever can make your sinuses hurt, and what it does to you in terms of symptoms can change so drastically that you would be confused that it was hayfever. You can buy sprays specifically for your nose, and balms that actually stop the pollen getting through to your sinuses. Pollution levels can change from year to year, and which bit of your body is vulnerable can change, so the symptoms can change.

Giving up smoking can feel like your nerves are being grated, and like you are a hundred IQ points down, but it can actually also be a doddle, it all depends on the person and their circumstances. Physically, nicotene withdrawal only takes a few days, but the battle in a person's mind can go on a lot longer, that is the harder bit. If you have ever faced a tough mental battle, you might get closer to imagining. The long term health risks do not usually bother smokers (go figure, or they wouldn't smoke), so for motivation it might be better to focus on the more immediate benefits. It is easier to breathe and walk up hills, almost immediately. So, basically he could become a very annoyed idiot who can peg it up hills very fast. The bonus is, the annoyed won't last, nor will the stupidity, but the fitness will stay.

I have been there and done that with hayfever and smoking...hence the long post, but really I just hope we all have a good day.

Thanks RC - Its the habit I know my OH finds hardest, all the associated activities that go with it like getting up in the morning having a couple of cigarettes and a coffee to start the day. He gave up for 6 months once then we lost a baby and he was back on them in a flash. I am looking forward to him having more stamina as at the moment he can't go for walks in the park with me and Ellie not just from the breathlessness but from the bad circulation that goes with smoking. I make him sound like a right wreak but he's not that bad honest. I'm glad at least he has his helicopter hobby to keep his hands busy otherwise I would be insisting he learn to knit!

My eldest son and my eldest bro both have hayfever and I've certainly seen them suffer and try multitudes of remedies - pity there wasn't a cure :-/

Morning Folkles

Just back from popping into town to pay a cheque into the bank (the same as the one I tried to cash last week, but made out in the right name this time :roll: also from seeing dd2 off on her residential trip.

What is it with kids? She begged me to stay and wave her off, then ignored me from the moment she got on the bus until it was out of sight! I could have been invisible and had more of a response. A few Mums had a tear in their eye as they waved their little darlings off, but me and Lynn (mum of another one in her class) had big grins on our faces - we've both got just the hormonal teenagers to deal with for 4 whole days - whoopie!!

Puttering along nicely with the knitting - have finished the blue Havana for dd2, which she modelled for me this morning before going off on her trip and have cast on for dd1's black version(have taken a photo and WILL post it when I can work out what Im doing). The blue one looked very small when I laid it out, but it did fit. I think however I will do her red one in the next size up.

DD1 asked how come Laurens getting two and shes only getting one - so I pointed out to her that the blue one is really for school and as the yarn was so cheep I couldnt really resist- £2.50 for 250g. I did offer to make her one in one of the other colours they had but for some reason my little Goth girl doesnt want a cardi in day-glo yellow or salmon pink...I wonder why?

Sorry to hear of the hayfever and back fibro you two. Sending *hugs* to help you feel better.

Su2ie - my nephew in law has been told he has to smoke by his doctor (dont tell your OH or he'll give up giving up!).

He has always smoked roll-ups, so his tobacco intake is quite low, but when he quit a couple of years ago he started getting migraines. They sent him for all sorts of tests and even a couple of scans, because the doc thought it might be early signs of a tumour, when everything came back clear, they looked in to what he had changed and the only thing they could come up with was the smoking- as soon as he started again the migraines disappeared. He smokes a lot less than he used to but MUST have at least two very thin rollies a day or hes prostrate! Maybe its psychosomatic but it works for him- :-S :roll:

Ooh Dee a few days without DD2 - wonderful!

I certainly won't be telling him about your nephew! My OH is still in bed - best place for him really for his first day off the smokes :bug:

Already frogged the cerulean shrug as 3rd row in and I end up messing up the moss stitch and doing rib!!

What is it with kids? She begged me to stay and wave her off, then ignored me from the moment she got on the bus until it was out of sight! I could have been invisible and had more of a response.

Sounds like she wanted to know Mummy was there, but she didn't want her mates to know that she wanted her Mummy there!

My stepdaughter is off to Glatonbury Festival without us...I am so irrationally worried...she is going with someone we know, and that person knows the Glastonbury scene very well...must be parenthood is all about how bad it would be if anything happened, and not the actual chances of it happening.

Ah, I wish I'd been to the big music festivals when I was younger. Being a musician you'd have thought I'd have been the first there, but when I was much younger I'd never have been allowed and then when I got my first job after uni I didn't have enough money and now I'm an old bat (by festival goer standards) I'm too scared. There's loads round here too. I did go to some round Cambridge when I lived there (I could hear the jazz festival from my house!) and they were fun, but they weren't the really big ones.

Maybe I should have a mid-life crisis, buy a tent and some wellies and get a cheap day return ticket ... :)