The Best Crafts Forums in the UK
Sign in to follow this  
AmyV

A dearth of dress fabric shops in/near Watford --- help!!

Hi unfortunately John Lewis Watford doesnt do fabric anymore still sells sewing machines buttons zips etc and wool knitting bits and pieces and was relagated to a small corner in the basement a few years ago, There is one fabric stall in the market open tuesday and Fridays and a stall that does buttons, ribbons haberdashery bits and pieces also at bushy arches is hobbycraft,

There used to be a fabric warehouse shop at Wealdstone near Harrow and there is a fabric warehouse in Cowley Industrial park I think it is in Packet Boat Lane near the Packet Boat Pub off Cowley Road between Uxbridge and Yiewsley, it is tucked away at the end of an aisle of buildings with an underground entrance through a car park

Cant remember of any others of the top of my head

Dawn

Okay - I was so excited about the new Sew magazine I immediately subscribed to it and I have my first lovely issue. :-)

However, I now find that my local fabric shop in Watford - Sewfine - has closed down their fabric sales side of the business last week!! Bad timing or what!. I am gutted to say the least. :-(

Has anyone any ideas on any dress fabric shops around the Watford area? I would much prefer to visit a shop than buy off the internet, just so I can see the fabrics in "real life"!

Someone, suggested going into London itself as there are several on Berwick street, but from what I understand these are really expensive.

Can anyone help find me somewhere a bit closer with a decent range of dress fabrics?

Thanks

Amy

Hi Amy, go to the Asian fabric shops, there is one on Market St,one on Whippendell Rd towards town, one on the corner of Harwoods Rd and Chester Rd and one at the corner of @ Durban Rd and Chester Rd. There is also one on St Albans Rd opposite the little car park near Balmoral Rd traffic lights.I used to have a stall in the market and used to sell the same fabrics as John Lewis at fraction of their price, most of their employees used to come to me! Go into Luton or Southall, you will love it! It's a dream come true for people who sew or craft, most 60'' fabrics are £1 meter. Just go into the shops and don't be afraid. Don't worry about the prices as most of them are for a whole outfit...it may say £5 but that might be for 7 1/2 yards or meters!! make friends and become a regular customer and you may end up with cuts of fabric for free, also try the new hope charity shop on Queens Rd as they often have lots of cheap remnants. A lot of Asian ladies who sew throw away so many remnants, they don't know what to do with them! they throw away black rubbish bags full of lovely pieces of silks and embroidered bits to cottons etc. Do go into the Asian fabric shops...promise they won't bite you lols. Let me know and I can supply you stuff if you llike. I hope this has been of help :)