The Best Crafts Forums in the UK
ickle pickle

Slow cooker recipes anybody?

Another slow cooker fan here! They are great, especially when your bf works shifts like mine does, as you can just leave it sitting there cooking away until he's ready to eat it!

We just got a wee cooker as there is only 2 of us, and just use fewer quantities if we don't fancy freezing stuff.

You can do amazing things in them - my bf's best mate does his complete sunday roast in one every week!

Hi all

I thought I would post the ingredients for a Moroccan dish that I use in the slow cooker, it is called Ras el Hanout, it is usually made with lamb and apricots however I use beef and sultanas instead. Give it a go, it is amazing :)

115g dried apricots

45g butter

550g diced lamb

4tsp ras el hanout

1 large grated onion

4 tbs chopped fresh coriander

Sea salt to taste

(below is the method for the hob, but just throw it all in the slow cooker and voila)

Cover apricots with boiling water and leave to soak, melt butter in tagine or casserole dish over a low heat, mix in the onion, lamb and ras el hanout, gently cook for 2 - 3 mins, (do not let lamb brown) add 3 tbs of coriander and enough water to just cover the meat, bring to a boil and then lower the heat, and simmer gently for an hour, add apricots and their liquid, some sea salt to taste and continue to gently simmer for another 30 mins, serve garnished with coriander.

You can have this with rice or cous cous, I usually have it with cous cous with some ras el hanout added to it, tzatziki, hummous and pitta bread heated up in the toaster. Enjoy

Sel :)

Mmmmmmmmmmm that sounds delicious Selmoon.I've never heard of ras el hanout before though, do you mind telling me what it is and where to buy it? You must let us know how your ham and lentil soup goes down.

Funny you should mention lentils actually I am just about to make some spicy tomato and lentil soup for my slimming worlds group taster night tonight :)

You can do amazing things in them - my bf's best mate does his complete sunday roast in one every week!

Ohhhhhhhhhhhhh sounds very interesting, what does he put in it? I don't suppose you could do Yorkshire puddings in there though, now I've said that I bet somebody will prove me wrong :lol:

Hi Ickle Pickle, you can get the Ras el Hanout in any good deli, although I have seen Moroccan Spice packs in Morrisons. I do have a website where they sel a load of spice packs and I am trying to rememember the name of it (I am at work just now and it is bookmarked at home)...........oh...Just remembered, this is the link for the one I use, it is fabulous and it comes in a resealable pack;

http://www.seasonedpioneers.co.uk/seasoning_detail.aspx?ID=124&name=Ras-el-Hanout Spice Blend

Have a look at the other spices, they are just as good, I have use 4 or 5 of them so far :)

Hope t his helps.

Enjoy, and let me know how you get on.

Selmoon :)