The Best Crafts Forums in the UK
Sign in to follow this  
elainelgc

Should schools teach knitting?

Our question of the month in our June issue which comes out tomorrow is should schools teach knitting? I know that I was never taught to knit at school, were you? If so, was it a skill you enjoyed at the time?

Schools have very packed timetables these days so might not have enough time to teach skills like this to children. Do you think it is important to teach traditional pasttimes or should this be down to parents? Some schools teach knitting in after-school clubs which seems a good compromise but let us know what you think - we'd love to hear your views! :)

I think they should teach knitting, crochet as part of the arts & crafts as i was taught cross stitch in school but think knitting is more usefull as you can make pretty much anything you put your mind to

I was taught to knit at school ( although I could do it before I went but I was the only one).... Mind you this was almost 50 yrs ago! We made a dish cloth to take home to our mums .... Some of our local schools have knitting & crochet clubs in the lunch hours but it could be included in general art & craft stuff .... Maybe teachers need volunteers to go & do it as most of them probably can't knit themselves .... They could learn too :lol:

I think all homemaking crafts should be taught in school but who would teach them? The school near us don't even teach cookery anymore because none of the teachers are able to do so.

I was taught to sew at school but not knitting, my gran taught me as many crafts as possible. she was a proper country woman, self sufficient and could even weave.

There has been two kits in my craft room, one is a child's knitting kit and the other a child's sewing kit. I have asked various neighbours if they would like them for their children and have been given blank stare and told ' No one knits or sews now, it's for oldies'. So if parents can not have the skills to make things there is no hope for the children.

I think it should be taught, or at least offered as an extra-curricular activity. It wasn't offered when I was at school, but my mum taught me and between us we've taught two nieces and my sister-in-law. Kids do so many projects at school and I don't see why knitting couldn't be included in one about, eg, cultural heritage/fashion/art/agriculture, even the two World Wars. One of my nieces is doing a project on movies and Hollywood, so if that can be looked at, surely so can knitting (movies = Wallace and Gromit = knitting). Of course, you'd need teachers who can knit, or disclosure checked volunteers and there'd be the cost of the kit, but I reckon it'd be really good for kids.

We have an after school knitting club in our primary school which is very popular, three of us run it and we have to limit the number of childen attending to 15 or so due to the 'hand on' nature of teaching them to knit. It would be good if it could be taught in school but unlikely to happen as you would need too many knitters to help with the teaching to make it viable.