The Best Crafts Forums in the UK
Sign in to follow this  

Ahh I get what you are saying Sharon I just found it very confusing to read!

I think you pre1tty much summed up the feeling in your last sentence really...nice one :) I didn't actually realise how many weaving projects there were till I just flicked through again

Aims x

The shrink plastic in Hobbycraft is called Shrinklies and is in with the kids stuff - I had to ask about it as I couldn't find it anywhere! Seem to come in a variety of colours.

xx

Hi everyone,

Thanks very much for the feedback on issue 6, we're always interested to hear what you think of each issue.

With regards to the multi-stranded question, I do apologise if the answer given is not as clear as it could be. Darcy_D's explanation is pretty much spot on:

What is trying to be described is to crimp each piece around something individually, be it a piece of wire or an eye pin (though I think the tigertail would probably come off that), then feed it through a bead cone which will hence cover up all the mess of loads of strands. You then turn a loop on the wire the other side of the cone and attach your clasp.

If you need further clarification on this then another good explanation can be found here (Scroll down to Filigree Cone Ends). I'm sure this is not the only method for finishing off a necklace, but cones are a great way of hiding lots of strands to keep your necklace looking tidy.

And as for the bead weaving, don't worry we are not about to become a bead weaving magazine! However, we have had a number of readers write in and ask for more beadweaving tips and tricks. Though bead weaving can often be seen as a bit 'fuddy duddy' we've been very impressed with the projects our designers have come up with as we feel they have been in keeping with the modern, fresh style of the magazine. We will continue to endeavour to provide a mix of projects, techniques and skill levels to cater for our diverse audience.

Each project is marked with a skill level and by turning to the contents page you can see at a glance which ones will be relevant to you. It is our hope that you might always be getting better and learning new things so if like this issue, there are fewer level one projects, I urge you to experiment and try your hand at level two! You never know what the results will be! If you're not quite brave enough to branch out yet or are only just beginning then don't worry, there will be more level one projects next issue!

Although you may not always like everything in the mag, we hope that there will always be something to inspire and interest you. :)

And don't forget, if you do embark on a new technique then we are always on hand to advise and support when you get stuck! We love to hear your ideas and we try to incorporate them into the mag wherever possible (the bead weaving, workshop special and bead guide were all results of ideas from this forum - and that's just one issue!)

Thanks once again for your feedback. We would, as always, love to see your pictures and hear about your experiences.

Emily :)

Thanks for your reply Emily, its always nice to hear what you people at the magazine have to say to our little chatterings :) I do agree that the beadweaving projects in this issue are much more modern and fresh than some I have seen and that's fine...I do a bit of it myself when I feel I need a challenge but as a technique its not a favourite of mine as I don't have the patience he he...

I do agree with you also Emily on trying harder projects as you never know what may happen :cheese: I always push my students into trying things that are a little bit harder and it is always worth it. As for me I like the harder projects so I really do not envy the people working on the magazine trying to get the balance right for all us readers. You are doing a fantastic job and I will keep buying the magazine anyways as I love its style

Aims x