The Best Crafts Forums in the UK
Sign in to follow this  
DarkAngelKnits

Who taught you to knit?

My nana taught me to knit when I was 4 although my mum could knit really well too. On the first day of school I took my dolly with me & she had a scarf I'd knitted on her - I was 4 yrs 6months old!! Mind you a nasty girl pulled her arm out at playtime & made me cry :-) I learned to crochet when I was small too ......... I can't remember not knitting.

Buzy

my nan taught me (and gave me my love of "rainbow" wool) I remember knitting a scarft which got wider the longer i made it!

I stopped knitting seriously in my teens but when my nan fell blind and took it up again i used to do a couple of rows of garter stitch while she chatted about life as a girl for her. Then when I fell pregnant with Warwick and saw how much baby cardi's were i thought "I can do that!) - the first thing I knit as a grown up was a scarf for Daz (on a circular needle as it was knit lenghways and took forever, never again!) and a cardigan and hat for Warwick.

Am just glad I found LK mag, otherwise I wouldnt know you guys!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

My mum taught me to knit when I was about nine. It was very difficult as she is left handed and I am right. We lived in Malawi (C Africa) at the time and I went to a convent school. We had knitting as a lesson and I remember making a small toy similar to a gonk (anyone remember these). Like Busy Lizzy I was the only one at school who could already knit.

Isn't it a shame that knitting isn't taught at school now? They have needlework ( I think) so it would be nice to have the option. I was, and still am, rubbish at sewing. :lol:

annie - I agree, they should teach it in schools, I've just taught my 5 year old how to knit, she's picked it up really well, at that age its easier to learn new things.

I agree too, they should teach such things at school. They didn't when I went though, which is a shame. My daughter did try sewing as an after school activity, but she couldn't get the hang of up and down, kept wanting to go up and over.

My daughter is keen on learning, but I don't know how I learned, so I can't reuse that information, is there any tips or advice you can pass on?

Moo xx