The Best Crafts Forums in the UK
Sign in to follow this  
Lauren1366717255

Help with jewellery clay

Hello everyone. I'm new to the forum and would be grateful if I could have some help.

( I have posted this on another jewellery forum too. )

I started using polymer clay a while ago but keep getting disheartened with it. I keep losing patience when it comes to conditioning the clay as I have bought some brand new blocks of clay (including 'soft' ones) in the past from different shops which have been hard and so they need a lot more conditioning. I feel a bit nitpicky but I also dislike how the clay feels in my hands.

I have recently started using air dry clay and then have realised that the clay is not waterproof or durable enough for jewellery. I do like the way the clay feels in the hands and find it much more malleable than polymer as well as the fact that an oven isn't required.

I'm wondering whether there are any other clays which I could use for making beads?

Thank you for your help.

Hi Lauren and welcome to the forum :)

I use fimo soft and love it, it does still take a bit of conditioning though, I don't think there are any short cuts with this really other than running it it through a pasta making machine a few times which will speed up the process :-)

I've not tried the air dry clay as I really like the finished results with fimo soft.

Hopefully someone else will be along with other ideas and tips for you ;-)

Helen x

Hi welcome to the Forum I havent used Clay yet but there is quite few people on here that has and they will soon be able to help. Dont give up I know it can be discouraging but it will come right

I also use fimo soft clay. I can understand what you mean about conditioning it as it makes my hands sore when I use it. I need to invest in a pasta machine like Helen suggested as I have watched videos on youtube of people using them to create loads of different effects xxx

I tried to warm the clay up a little, but didn't help.....sat it on top on the wood burner for seconds and it started to cook it and it went all crumbly ....oopppssss :lol:

You can use the product on this link to mix in with you clay to help speed it up a bit http://shop.ebay.co.uk/i.html?_nkw=fimo+softner&_sacat=0&_odkw=fimo+conditioner&_osacat=0&_trksid=p3286.c0.m270.l1313

Love & hugs,

Caroline.

xxxxxxxxxxxx