Create Jane Kharade's fun moustache jewellery, plus a bonus matching gift box
What you need...
- PENDANTS Jump rings, Copper sheet, 0.7mm, Monofilament, 1m, Colettes, Crimps, Lobster clasp, Pink potato pearls, 5mm x 59, Bright pink enamel x 10ml
- TOOLS Pliers, round-nosed, flat-nosed, snipe-nosed, Saw frame, Saw blade, 3/0, Benchpeg with G clamp, Needle files, Emery papers, Power tool and 1mm drill bit, Efcolor enamelling stove, Sieve tops, Enamel stilts, Epoxy resin, Cocktail stick, Scalpel, Cutting mat
Pendant - 1. Download and print a moustache template onto paper. Cut out with a scalpel and stick to copper sheet using undiluted PVA glue. Fix a bench peg to a table using a G clamp and tighten. Place a saw blade in its frame, teeth down and out, and tighten the frame to create tension in the blade.
2. Place the copper flat on the bench peg with the saw frame vertical. Cut into the bench peg, bringing the metal up to the blade. When a cut has been made in the metal, the copper can be placed in the V in the bench peg. Cut out the moustache and neaten the edges with a needle file and emery paper.
3. Place the moustache on an enamelling stilt on a foil-lined baking tray. Using a sieve top, sprinkle an even layer of bright pink enamel powder over the copper. Place in a pre-heated oven to melt. Check the piece periodically - the powder has a glossy, even appearance when it has melted. Remove from the oven and leave to cool completely.
4. Drill two holes through the top of the moustache and attach a 5mm jump ring to each. Loop a length of monofilament through a jump ring, making sure the two ends are even. Thread with pink pearls then add a calotte and crimp. Tie several knots in the monofilament, squash the crimp with pliers tightly, then close the calotte over it. Add a 5mm jump ring to the loop of the calotte, then repeat for the other side of the necklace. Attach a lobster clasp to finish.
Make it yours - Create a brooch by cutting a moustache from copper sheet and enamelling as before, then adhere a pin back with epoxy resin.