The Best Crafts Forums in the UK
Hills bills

Decreasing stitches in a lace pattern! HELP!

I decided to challenge myself and knit the lace back top from Let's Knit Issue 95 (August). It has a lace pattern over 4 rows (WS purl), but it has to be decreased to shape the armholes. The last 8 rows have given me a bigger headache than the previous 30cms. I've even taken to drawing myself out a sort of chart, which has helped a little bit. Any top tips before I lose any remaining shreds of sanity?

A chart is a very good help so you can see exactly how the lace pattern goes.

Also you could use a lifeline. This is where you thread a spare piece of yarn through your sts and if you have to pull it out the sts won't go down any further than the lifeline.

See http://www.yarn.com/videos/video/how-to-use-a-lifeline-in-knitting/

Edited to add - sorry I meant to say welcome to the forum

Thank you, thank you, thank you!  I had recently glanced something about lifelines but hadn't really paid much attention to it.  I put a lifeline in earlier and although I had to pull it back three times, then manually pull it back another two rows to sort a problem, putting the lifeline in was exactly that - a lifeline!  I will *never* knit a complicated (by my standards!) pattern again without them.  It meant I could sort out the lace pattern placement after the decrease too.  So now I am away again... until the next problem!

And thank you for the welcome!  I'm 38 and was taught to knit as a child by my mum, who died in '04.  I have loved picking up the needles again recently.  I started Rowan's Martin Storey KAL last year and finished it two weeks ago - now claimed by my 15 year old daughter!  I've been hit but the knitting bug again at the moment.

So pleased you got it sorted. If you have any more problems just give me a shout.

Why not pop in on Knitty Chat and meet the other knitters on here