The Best Crafts Forums in the UK
knitpip

Pattern help please

Hello,

I'm struggling with a pattern from the "Winter Warmers" lift-out in the Let's Knit magazine. I'm trying to knit the Fun Fair chevron patterned slouchy hat from Patons (leaflet 3954) on page 16.

I'm stuck on round three. Changing colours to yarn B. The two rounds prior to this, after first creating a k1, p1, rib, is:

Round 1: k to end inc four sts evenly across rnd. 64 sts (OK)

Round 2: *k3, (yfwd) twice, k1, rep from * to end (OK)

Change to yarn B

Round 3: *K1BW, k1, wyib sl 1 pwise, drop yfwds from prev rnd, k1, rep from * to end

Where K1BW = insert RH needle into next st two rows below, k this st, k next st on LH needle, pass pulled loop over the top of this st and off needle], k1, wyib sl 1 pwise, drop yfwds from previous round

This is where I'm stuck - could someone try stepping me through K1BW please? Hopefully that will make the rest of round 3 easier, because at the moment I think I must be doing the first bit wrong so the rest isn't correct/possible either.

Thank you!!!

Happy knitting :-)

pip

Hi and welcome to the forum

This sounds like a serious bit of knitting and I would really need the sts on a needle to try this.

However you can see here at

how to to K1W in row below current row so you would follow same instructions but insert needle 2 rows below.

If you want I can get in touch with someone at HQ for a full explanation on this.  Let me know

Hi Goose,

Thank you. I have seen that video on YouTube before and tried giving it a go. Unfortunately it seems the instruction is a little harder/complex then simply knit two below :s It's what comes after that I struggle with.

If you could source some more help/advice that would be fantastic thank you!

Very kind regards,

pip

Hi Pip,

You're right, this is slightly different to a normal "knit one below".

This might help:

1) Insert RH needle into stitch two rows below

2) knit into this stitch, but keep the original stitch on the LH needle - this is where it differs from a regular "knit 1 below"

3) knit the stitch on the LH needle

4) on your RH needle, pass the stitch knitted from below over the top of the stitch just knitted and off the needle

This will keep your stitch count correct.

Then work the rest of the pattern repeat as given: k1, wyib sl 1 pwise, drop yfwds from previous round (you can tell which loops these are as they are not connected to the row below)

Does this make sense?

Thanks

Adrienne

LK deputy editor

Edited by Adrienne Chandler