The Best Crafts Forums in the UK
Rianna Fry

Toughest Challenges for Novice Knitters

The hardest thing for me was when I taught myself to crochet and I had to teach my brain to do it right handed. That is hard for a left hander to try and lead with my right hand. I managed it as I have managed to do a lot of right handed things, turning on a wood lathe is another thing all wood lathes are right handed.

So now I can call myself Ambidextrous. I do everything back to front even my user name.

I am still really new to knitting and am working on my first project (other than scarfs of st st).  So having learned to knit and purl, I decided to start my first scarf. 

Having cast on 85 stitches and started working for hours on it, I phoned my gran and said I was giving up and how could anyone knit a scarf = it was taking ages!

She then explained that 85 stitches was a serious joke and that a scarf should really only be about 30!

I am now on my 3rd 50g ball of wool and the scarf has been abandoned as it was not cost effective to keep going with it. 

Lesson learned lol!!

Meg <3

Unless it was a sideways scarf,  Meg?

I have seen patterns like that?

My return to knitting was traumatised by the fact that when I wasn't looking patterns had changed from inches to centimetres.

I stopped and reassessed my situation when my matinee jacket sleeve was heading for 13 inches.

I always knit the sleeves first so's I can get used to the pattern and mistakes are not glaring you in the face-  except when I'm lazy and knit the back and sleeves plain and confine the pattern to the front.

My main fear is large scary patterns.

I can attempt small scary patterns which have almost instant gratification,

like freebie kits which I love,

I then have the option of transferring the new learned pattern to the front of a kiddie jumper.

Or not.

And the minute there is a  mention of a circular needle -which I have plenty of - I ditch it - or change it to dpns!

Just a mental block...

I am sure that it have missed out on lots of super patterns, but luckily there are always plenty more!

Edited by maritrez

I learnt as a child can't remember what problems I had but I've since taught a few ... one left handed and eventually I set up a mirror and she copied me by watching my reflection. ..another just kept making stitches and I never worked out how....

I learnt as a child can't remember what problems I had but I've since taught a few ... one left handed and eventually I set up a mirror and she copied me by watching my reflection. ..another just kept making stitches and I never worked out how.... problem now is my brain works in inches and old size needles. .I use size 8 not metric 4mm or whatever they are....