The Best Crafts Forums in the UK
Sign in to follow this  
Naida.Ally

QUESTION OF THE MONTH - Do you knit any of your Christmas gifts?

I did knit some friends children hats and scarves and they didn't like them / appreciate the gift!! (Never wore them - perhaps it was my bad knitting!!!)

I think people who don't knit do not really appreciate the time, cost and thought that goes into knitting gifts so have decided not to knit for anyone else.

I do knit hats, scarves and gloves for the kids and me.. Also this year my daughters school are doing the shoe box gift scheme and have asked for contributions of hats, scarves and mitts so will knit some for this..

Last year i did a few bits for people. This year i have an ever growing list of gifts i want to make only for the main family though otherwise i would have to start knitting in January.

Last year my mum asked for a scarf and she loved it. I then thought I should knit my dad one too, tried to go for the "manly colours" and it was 3 ply and took me weeks to knit, he never commented or even said thanks (so not like him) so I took the hint and won't knit for him again.

i have just finished a blanket that my mum may get if I can talk my way out of not letting her see it, she was intrigued by the pattern lol. Other than my mum who may ask for something this year probably not.

Edited to add

Showed my mum the blanket and told her if she hadn't have wanted to see it I was gonna give it to her for Christmas, her reply was I would love that for Christmas :o) she is delighted and so am I!

I have in the past but not this year because last year the majority of people I made gifts for never even commented on the fact I'd made something for them plus I still bought them a gift too so this year they will be just getting bought gifts. My time will be better spent building up stock as I want to start selling my makes and making things for my girls :)

I know it sounds mean but life is too short to waste making things for people who don't appreciate or realise the time, effort and love which goes into making them something.

Suzie I totally agree it's such a shame when you make something for somoene and they can't appreciate the work gone into it or at least even say thank you. I've been bitten like that before and it hurts, so now I just make things for the people that do appreciate them (which is very few) and I do things for myself, my DH, my immediate family and only a couple of close friends. Time is limited and what you do have should be enjoyable!