The Best Crafts Forums in the UK
Sign in to follow this  
Sew 1

Sew Issue 35 Pattern Download: Now Live!

Hi ladies,

Sorry to hear that some of you are experiencing problems printing off the pattern - I'm not a fully-fledged IT expert but I will help where I can!

Chickenleader - I'm unsure as to why your internet connection going down would effect the printing of the document; once the pattern has started to print, all of the information will have already been sent to the printer so the net connection dropping out shouldn't have an effect. Perhaps to ensure it is nothing to do with saving or opening the document, you could save it, print it, then delete straight afterwards? This way the file won't be saved onto the computer long term.

Wendiekins - again, I'm not sure why your computer is trying to save the document to your iTunes folder. When you click on the download, it should bring up a list of folders that you could save it in - try saving it to your desktop, or to My Documents perhaps, then opening from there. It's a standard PDF file so should just open with your default PDF reader.

Hope this helps!

Sophie, Deputy Editor

I only have the Bias Binding to finish now on the Mandarin Dress I started for my Niece. I would have finished it at weekend but I was unable to use the coffee table as Football was on and F1 lol and then kids wanting Playstation etc lol

So going to get it finished Tonight and the take some piccies. Was dead lucky yesterday as a friend told me of a mate of hers who was selling 2 Children's size shop dummies. They are fantastic!!!!! They have Jigsaw Piece bases which slot together!!! They came from a school uniform shop and I got the pair for £30 and also a huge 54 metre roll of Cream Cotton Canvas Rip Stop Fabric 65inches width for £10! Will be making a lot of Throws for sofas of dog loving friends now aswell as half my family and myself lol. 54 metres will be gone in no time once word gets out to my doggy friends lol Bargains can be found in the strangest places as she was advertising them on our local Facebook for sale or swap page. I just made her an offer and was accepted. My sister is very jealous as she had also been looking for Children's shop/Tailors Dummies.

Happy Day!!

Hi, thanks for all the advice but I also don't have a clue as to the internet going off affecting the printer. All our stuff is ancient and very tempermental. I loathe downloading stuff and I have found that some websites have proven to have issues allowing me to print. Google maps being one. My husband can download and print maps fine on his netbook with his printer but the machines in the office are old and decrepit. Also, once I got going with the printing, I couldn't leave it for a second as once it had stopped, and I managed to restart it, after ripping out all the damaged and half printed pages, I found it was printing some pages several times - again, probably a problem with the equipment but we cannot all afford state of the art IT equipment. Again, with being at the extreme outer limits of broadband availability, my download times are so slow, I may as well be on dial up.

I love the magazine but without good access to the patterns featured, there is not an awful lot of point in buying it. It is the fact that there are such wonderful looking designs to draw us in, that cause us to want to buy the mag but without being able to download and print satisfactorily, there isn't a lot of point in buying what we cannot use. Don't forget there are also people out there either not computer literate, don't have printers or just don't have/will not have a computer for whom the magazine would also not be much use. I applaud the thought that it would help to keep costs to a minimum (very important) but last night I was losing the will to live trying to capture the pattern. I'm afraid I'm with the others on this, that I would really have to think several times as to whether I really want to go through it all again, so would probably not want to strain my nerves and buy another mag. It is a pity as I have found it to be one of the better ones, otherwise. So sorry.

I made up the Mandarin dress last night from the largest size but it seems quite small. If anyone else has downloaded this pattern, could they please post the pattern dimensions. i.e. the length and width of each pattern piece, preferably in inches as being an OAP now, I still prefer to work in "real" measurements. The finished back length of the garment measures 18.5 inches and the width across between the armholes measures 10.5 inches. I'm wondering now if the pattern downloaded to my printer in full size mode? Being an old printer, I've not yet seen any method of increasing sizing. I just had a "practice run" at it prior to making it for my great grand daughter aged two as I didn't want to cut down the pattern on the basis that it said the smallest size was for a 2 y.o. - just in case. However, it does look a similar size to a previous dress I made for her at Christmas time.