The Best Crafts Forums in the UK
Sign in to follow this  
Su2ie

Preemie cardi and hat

Hi Su2ie. Well done. They are lovely.

I hope the wee lad is doing well and that his mum and dad are coping. You'll all think I'm strange when I say this, but I think the clothes look quite big. Callum was three months early and weighed 2lbs 10oz when he was born, so I'm painfully familiar with tiny babies, scary incubators and titchy clothes. It must be a scary time for the family.

That said, if Jake's not very skinny, which Callum was, he'll probably fit the stuff now. When was he born?

My mum made some very very tiny cardigans for Callum and helmet-style hats. He never got to wear the first tiny cardigans because of the drips, splints and wires he was attached to, but the hats were brilliant. They're always in short supply in neo-natal units. The cardigans are a wonderful keepsake because they're the only thing we've got which really give people an idea of how small Callum was and will give him some idea of it when he's old enough to understand. Mum made more cardigans as Callum grew, which was fab because we couldn't get anything else to fit and they were invaluable when he was making the move from incubator to a cot and couldn't regulate his own temperature.

The other thing my Mum made for Callum which was great, was tiny socks - you just can't buy them small enough!

Ali kept a blog when Callum arrived. There's some pics in there of the hats and later on of the bigger cardigans. It's at www.babycallum.blogspot.com

BTW, Boots is absolutely brilliant for preemie clothes!

Angela

xx

Thanks Angel :) He's only a few weeks old but they said he should be released in the next few weeks as he's doing so well. I thought he's unlikely to wear them in hospital as they always seem to have him just in a nappy in the incubator so if they are a bit big no worries as he can grow into them. I bought some clothes from Adams as we have a shop in town and the smallest size they do is 5lb so I guess he will be growing into them too!

Hi Su2ie, I'm really glad to hear he's doing so well. As Jake steadily improves, they'll start putting clothes on him - first a vest, then a grow, and then a grow/top and trousers then a cardigan, etc. The more he wears, the more they'll drop the temperature in the incubator to encourage him to learn to regulate his body temperature, which will take a while, and eventually they'll have him mega-wrapped up and move him into a cot with loads of blankets . By that time, his mum and dad will be so used to struggling to dress him by putting their arms through the holes in the sides of the incubator, they'll find it strange trying to dress him in a normal way! So he most probably will need that lovely cardi and hat in hospital. And if the cardi's big, it'll sit over his other layers beautifully. There were days that Callum had on a vest, baby grow, cardigan (sometimes two), hat, booties (which invariably fell off because his feet and ankles were so skinny), cardigan, jacket, and blankets! Poor bairn could hardly move! :)

Adams stuff is lovely. The smallest we could get from them was for 5lbs babies. Boots has for 3lbs babes and the stuff is specially designed for wearing in incubators, with poppers up the sides so wires etc can be accommodated, and very, very carefully placed seams to avoid pressure on the spine, joints, head, etc. In fact the only thing I'd fault Boots on is their preemie hats - they're far too shallow and too wide, so they just fall off, especially when the baby starts wriggling around his greenhouse.

It's early days for telling you this yet, I guess, but Tesco does nappies for preemies, which are at least as good if not better, than Pampers and Huggies preemie nappies, and they're half the price. The other own-brand ones weren't up to much two years ago.

x

Wow Angel that's fantastic info there thanks - I will have to make sure I get the stuff over to them sooner rather than later (I'm in ROI they're in UK!) Our boots here is only small so they don't have clothes and the next nearest one is about 30K away and I'm car-less! Callum was a very wee one by the sounds of it. Jake was 3lb 7oz and he's already managing to have his mums milk out of a bottle so he's doing really well. Hoping to see him in a few weeks time by which time he will be much stronger. He keeps moving on to less dependent units every few days. I think it helped that they knew he was on his way 2 weeks earlier when his mums waters broke and they managed to keep him in there another 2 weeks and prepare him for the outside world :-)

Sounds like Jake will be home in no time at all. That's really good news.

I've got a head full of stuff I could tell you about preemies, so give me a shout if ever you think there's something I might be able to help you with.

And congrats on becoming an auntie - I forgot to say that bit before :)