The Best Crafts Forums in the UK
Crafts Beautiful 1

In need of Knitty Assistance? Get it here!

Hi and welcome to the forum.  This can be a little daunting and I find it difficult to explain but I'll try

The lace pattern is probably over a set number of sts we'll take 10 as an example and say  holes are made after 3rd st and 6th st

Pattern 1st row k3 yfwd k2tog k1 k2tog k2

Decrease row - 1st row k2tog (decrease )  k1 yfwd k2tog k1 ywfd k2tog k2

When you dec by knitting 2 together the number of sts you work before lace pattern changes 

You can check by eye if you are keeping the pattern correct.

If you are still unsure you could write out first row of your pattern and I'll write out the changes with the decreases

Hi

I have a huge problem with joining my seams together whenever I try to make something. I can knit all different patterns aran etc but when it comes to joining the seams the end result is a hideous mess!!! This has made me stop trying to make anything with sleeves as these are the main problem! Basically when I have finished and join the seams together the sleeves seem really tight especially at the armpit. Also how do you neatly join seams? I would love to make a nice jumper but can't because of the end product! Any advice or help would be greatly appreciated 

Hi and welcome to the forum. For side seams see video here http://www.letsknit.co.uk/knitting-videos/mattress_stitch this may help.

With regards to sleeves I join the shoulder seams first and pin a flat sleeve in place before sewing with a back stitch. I then start at the bottom rib and again using a back stitch I sew up the side and down sleeve all in one go.

If you have an old cardie/jumper you could cut it into squares and practice sewing them together.

Hi, i am incredibly desperate for help with the m1 (make one) knitting stitch, i have tried to do it in different ways via a number of videos found on the web but each time i do it leaves a huge whole in the pattern even though the instructions said it wouldn't leave a hole and it also pulls up th knitting rows so my knitting is unlevel. I am trying desperately to get passed row 3 in the Hatty the elephant yarn kit in issue 76 in lets knit magazine. I am a visual learner as i have a chronic illness that has made some part of my brain interpretative words in a mashed up way, so i struggle with most things. Please, please i reallywould like to make my first knitted toy. Many thanks

Hi Segtree and welcome to the forum.  The main reason you get a hole is when you just knit the stitch that you have picked up. You need to knit into the back of it.

Have a look at this video and let me know how you get on.

Just ignore the way she holds the yarn as this is a different method of knitting but follow her instructions