The Best Crafts Forums in the UK
Sign in to follow this  
AmyV

A dearth of dress fabric shops in/near Watford --- help!!

Okay - I was so excited about the new Sew magazine I immediately subscribed to it and I have my first lovely issue. :-)

However, I now find that my local fabric shop in Watford - Sewfine - has closed down their fabric sales side of the business last week!! Bad timing or what!. I am gutted to say the least. :-(

Has anyone any ideas on any dress fabric shops around the Watford area? I would much prefer to visit a shop than buy off the internet, just so I can see the fabrics in "real life"!

Someone, suggested going into London itself as there are several on Berwick street, but from what I understand these are really expensive.

Can anyone help find me somewhere a bit closer with a decent range of dress fabrics?

Thanks

Amy

Hi there

Used to live in Watford, but can't think of anywhere apart from John Lewis which has a fab selection of fabrics. Obviously London is probably good. Train to Euston and walk up to the markets at Camden.

Not sure if there are fabrics run by indian population in Watford as these always have fantastic fabrics. Also saw a post on another forum that recommended a lot of shops near Shepherds Bush tube with excellent prices.

I'd try John Lewis first (even if you see something you like and then order on-line)

HTH

Hi, I sympathise with the lack of dress-making fabric shops! There is one with a fairly large selection in Hemel Hempstead, called Needlecraft. If you Google Needlecraft Hemel Hempstead, the first item which pops up gives you a map to them! Happy hunting.

If your planning on a trip to London try Walthamstow Market, best day is Thursday, but open Fri & Sat too, (busy thoes 2 days).

Or Shepherds Bush and Gold Hawk Road, you will find lots of Indian shops, for some reason they still do lots of dressmaking, you can get sari material for £4 a meter, and western fabrics a lot less.

We also like Berwick Street and Titchfield Street, then round the corner to Joh Lewis's for lunch/ afternoon tea.

I save up and come up twice a year with sewing friends, have a day out and come back ready to sew.