The Best Crafts Forums in the UK
Sign in to follow this  
Lacocklady

Household Help & Top Tips

Hello - good topic to start Jane......about the original problem you had - - I once had to get out a real tough stain and researching "organic" stains, I read that alcohol - the pharmacy type is a must for organic material -- didn't have any right at that moment, so I rummaged around and found something that did have alcohol as its main ingrediant -- applied it -- and it worked great! Made sure it was a clear colour product though - don't want to make a bad thing worse, ha ha.

Which is why I think that some of those crazy sounding 'household products' not meant for laundry but still work on stains, like if someone says - use ' Drainol' or 'clear cough syrup' {just for the sake of examples - don't try these, lol!}... may be explained - they probably all had alcohol in them.

Other than that - I haven't much clue about things around here, lol!

Oh wait - I do! I saw this on a Canadian gardening show and the host was a Master Gardener - - really popular man, and all scientific when he wanted to be BUT he gave this tip when potting a plant one day in a rather large pot. Knowing that filling this pot full of earth would make it very heavy, he explained this...

Replace some of the earth with busted up pieces of plastic - he threw in cleaned out margarine tubs, some styrafoam - just anything that was plastic and chunky - the idea is to 'displace' the soil, and the roots of the plant can still grow around them.

I've done this trick over and over - always works great - never had a plant die or anything. Even repotting, I can still get the roots to unwind from around the big chunks -- my favourite is busting up protective styrafoam inserts that come in the packaging of a delicate product. I just cut it up and throw it in the pot.

SUre does make the pots lighter.

Hi!

My mum swears by washing up liquid, she puts it on most stains and its really good at getting them out. She puts the washing up liquid on the stain then rubs it in and then puts it in the washer, its brilliant! Might be worth a try for your oily stains. I work on the railway and to get oil on most of my clothes and its worked for those.

Also (not sure if any of you already know this) white bread is fantastic for getting lilly pollen out of things. It works on clothes upholstry and most fabrics.

Helen x

I know fresh lemon gets grease out of my microwave maube if you place some chopped lemons in a buck or even the sink some warm water soak it, Then try washing it the normal way you wash his clothes it may come out.

xx :red:

:lol: snap I do that too. I pop some lemons in a bowl of water and turn the microwave on for ten minutes and then when you open the door. It smells delicious and the grease and everything simply just wipes off minus the elbow grease, no pun intended :cheese: You can also do this in the oven but use more lemons in say a casserole dish with water on high for half an hour ;-)

If you have a lady dog :) and you catch her peeing on your lawn :red: Throw a bucket of water over where she did it and it neutralises the acid and will stop your lawn getting yellow/brown patches on it (this happens if your lady dog keeps going pee pee in the same place, honestly, tried and tested ;-) )

I am vinegar obsessed and especially white vinegar. Do a final rinse of it after washing your windows/mirrors and it sparkles and doesn't streak. The smell goes after about 5 or ten minutes :)