The Best Crafts Forums in the UK
Dazzle 10

The Good Morning Thread

Oh yes, they did. Some of the photos were of strategic interest and of the enemy lines, tanks, etc. He never mentioned getting these types of photographs, but I suppose he must have, unless they had different types of photographers, i.e. those for intelligence operations and those for general everyday existance. He certainly took lots of photographs of locals, soldiers, even their rations, etc. but I haven't seen them all. He would always take several of the same thing, or very similar, so must have kept his own copies as well as handing in the rest. I remember looking through some of them when I was a child (my mum didn't think there was any need to hide war from her children, as she lived through WWII as a child) but lots are spread out amongst relatives so there must be hundreds of them. When he was old and had lost height and become stooped, he was still about 6ft 4in tall, but no idea how tall when young. Just as well he wasn't on the front lines...he would have been an easy target, as people were shorter then than now, so he must have really stood out. I'm just 5ft. I suppose your grandad is just sick of them and sick of being reminded about something depressing to most, but good for you in getting them. The only close relative to have served in WWII was an uncle, but he was in the RAF and didn't fly missions, so he survived the war and is still alive. I've seen some photos of him when he was young and he looked amazingly like Cary Grant. How my grandfather had him I don't know...he looked more like a blond lanky Stan Laurel!

That's really interesting, I didn't know they had people to do that, though it makes sense. Goodness your grandad was tall, you're right he'd have been a prime target on the front line, good thing he wasn't. It's not that my Grandad had bad memories of the war. He served in India and didn't see any action, he had all sorts of adventures though. I think he actually enjoyed his time in India to be honest. He just sees things as clutter, that's why he wanted rid of his momentos! I think it was probably worse for my Nan living through the blitz in London. My Nan's brothers also served in WWII, one was a spitfire pilot, he was tragicaly killed when something went wrong with his plane. He could have ejected and lived but the plane would have crashed into a village school, so he stayed on board and piloted the plane away from the village, he tried to escape when the village was safe but didn't have time. He was only young, such a shame.I don't know much about what the other brother did but he survived.

What an amazing conversation and set of experiences, Bobsie and Debbie. I think it is so important to find out about our family history while we still can (and Debbie, I can see why you write - you must have an absolute wealth of material). My mother and grandmother escaped out of Poland in 1944, literally crawling out under the barbed wire into Germany when they found out the Russians were coming. The saddest thing is my Mum was only 4 and so doesn't have very many memories of that or the next 5 years interred in a Displaced Persons camp, and my grandmother refused to talk about it as she just didn't want to remember it. So the history is lost (my grandmother died in 2005). I know it is often difficult, but I would have loved to know more so I could have shared it with my own children.

It also does make me think though how steadfast, strong and brave people were living through that time. I couldn't do it, and when I look at society today, I think - there is no way that they could survive through something like the Blitz, surely? Although perhaps when the chips are down, people do pull together.

Just to answer a couple of other questions - Natalie, Ethan is now just over 11 months old so we still have a few sleepless nights yet. I have joked with another couple of friends I have who are also trying for children close together that we have gone 11 months without a full nights sleep so we might as well just keep going with it! But I have to say, despite everything, I am so looking forward to more children and I absolutely love parenthood. It is exhausting, but it is probably the best thing I have ever done.

Claire, I so hope baby Willis isn't as big as the last! We'll be waiting eagerly to find out just after Christmas though and I am sure all of our thoughts will be with you.

I haven't had very much time for crafting since Mum and Dad arrived and I am getting withdrawal symptoms! I think I might get my papercraft box out this evening after they go back to the cottage they are staying in just to get my fix (and try and make a dent in the number of Christmas Cards I still would like to do).

Hugs to everyone x

Some more interesting experiences. It's a pity you didn't know more though, but how terrifing for your mother and Grandmother! I think that war changes people and even in the Roman times they were complaining about the state of society, if you read translations they are pretty much the same complaints we have today. Maybe society doesn't change all that much after all. Mind you, I still stare open mouthed at my Nan whenever she tell the story of when she was at the cinema, watching Gone With the Wind, when there was an air raid; she figured that if it was her time to go then it was her time to go, either way she wanted to see th of the film. So, while everyone else left for cover, my Nan stayed to see out the end of the film. She still maintains it was a risk worth taking!!!

Nancy, I hope you get a chance to do some craft this evening. How long are your parents visiting for?

Have a lovely day all.

Hello everyone! :-)

Just poking my head through the door after a verrrrrry long absence! Hope all are keeping well and happy. Have seen some lovely, lovely cards being made :-)

Am going to try my hand at one or two of Silvia's Bell shaped easel cards. Have not crafted in such a long time as been so busy building my home business, but with Christmas round the corner, I have the urge to create again!

Love to all,

Chris xx

Hi Everyone

Haven't ben around much myself for a while.

Hope to have more timeto say hello to all.

Some lovely makes to enjoy on here.

Thank you all for the inspiration.

Chris - good to see you.

Hope the crafting goes well now that you have a little more time.