The Best Crafts Forums in the UK
Loolabell

Pre-wash or not?

Hi,

Just wondering if other members pre-wash sewing fabrics prior to making up. I have never pre-washed my materials but I have been told by an experienced dress maker that I should be. I am using cottons and cotton mixes for dressmaking and cushion covers, etc. Any advice would be appreciated.

Hi Loolabell. I don't usually pre-wash my fabrics but I know you should. It's not so essential if the fabric is a soft one but cotton can be a real pain to work with and it is best if you wash as it can shrink on first washing so better to do it before you cut out the fabric than after the garment is finished.

Hi Lindylo, thanks for replying. I would be really upset if my sewing projects shrank so I suppose I had better start washing before sewing. I normally want to get stuck into a new pattern as soon as I have bought it but maybe some patience is in order.

Hi Loolabell,

You should pre-wash as all fabric will shrink to some extent the first time it's washed.  However, it depends what fabric you're using - Lewis & Irene, for example, is pre-shrunk.

Good luck!

Edited by Bugweed's