The Best Crafts Forums in the UK
Allemande

Matte Finish

I'm hoping that this may be the best place to post my query, as papercrafters use various finishes on their projects and I'm sure there must be some knowledgeable people out there.

I'm actually making a dolls house from scratch, and using the egg-carton method of making bricks, quite successfully, except that the matte Mod Podge I used, and the matte Duraclear varnish, both give a SHINY finish! Really disappointing.

Can anyone suggest a product that I can use that will give a proper MATTE finish, please?

I'm sure they would just say "use matte Mod podge" - which, as I found, is not matte but shiny.

I have googled to try to find something, but after wasting money twice, I'm looking for recommendations from people who have actually used products.

It appears that anything can say "matte" even if the resulting effect is shiny!

Do you have to use a varnish at all?  Can you sand them back to take the shine off?

I've never made bricks so I have no idea what is involved.  Would a matte acrylic medium work better?  I got mine from The Works for a couple of pounds so it wouldn't be a huge outlay to experiment.

Do you have to use a varnish at all?  Can you sand them back to take the shine off?

The instructions I was working from said to use matte Mod Podge, so I did :(

Sanding hundreds of twelfth-scale egg-carton bricks is not a possibility as it would just rip the egg-carton to shreds - and boy, would it be fiddly! :D