The Best Crafts Forums in the UK
Sign in to follow this  
sew2save

From a newbie in the fog :-)

Hello everyone; what an adventure this is for a social networking newbie. However, I'm sure I shall emerge from the fog full of inspiration :-) My main interest is sewing at which I hope to improve my skills and judging from what I have managed to read so far, the site seems to be a hive of activity, great skill and knowledge. My mother was a tailor and my grandmother an enthusiastic needlewoman both of whose endeavours to pass on their skills to me did not meet with much dedication. Not being artistic or very imaginative I have to slavishly follow sewing patterns , rather than be able to free cut and sew to fit, so any advice or references available to be gleaned would be extremely appreciated :-)

Hi and welcome to the forum.

This is a friendly forum and members are always willing to help and support each other.

If there is something specific you want to know then ask away.

If there is anything I can help with just let me know

I think my advice to sew2save...is Make haste slowly...sounds like a saying of contradiction in terms, but very true.......with such prolific sewers in your family you may be tempted to "cut corners" (no pun intended...but always go through each advice section step by step at a time and when you feel really confident you will find your own ways of doing things....I became rather haphazard when I went back to patchork and quilting a couple of years ago and thought I knew all the SHORTCUTS...no way...only when I had ruined hours of work did I realize a basic fault in cutting and piecing....so take care and you will achieve great results I am sure. Best wishes...Mary

Edited by artym