The Best Crafts Forums in the UK
Sign in to follow this  
minimidwife13

knitting newbie requiring help.

Hi everyone. I'm a knitting newbie who is working on my first knit but would appreciate some help!

I am currently knitting a basic pearl stitch scarf on 10mm needles. I wanted a scarf that was really wide and chunky and so have done it with 30 stitches.

I'm now coming to the end of my wool and it's not nearly long enough. How do I continue to keep knitting with a different ball of wool? I want it to look seamless but don't know I should cast off and start again?

Any advice much appreciated!

Minimidwife x

Hi Minimidwife and welcome to the forum.

I take it you are working purl on every row.  If this is the case there is no seamless way that I know of to join in another colour.

I made a baby blanket and had 2 balls of 1 colour and 1 ball of another. I one of the 2 balls of the same colour  then single ball of a different colour then finished off with 2nd ball of of first colour.

It might be annoying pulling out some of your knitting but you could pull back to half way, add in a block of 2nd colour and finish off with other half of 1st ball.  You are sort of making a feature of the 2 colours.

Sorry I couldn't be of more help

Are you using different coloured wool to the original or is it another ball of the same colour?

Don't cast off, I don't know if this is the right way but my scarf looks seamless by just knitting in the new ball like you are continuing from the old one, leave a tail and just wrap the wool around.  The tail can be sewn into the scarf when you finish.

As I said, I have no clue if that's the right way or not but works for me :)

Meg <3

Sign in to follow this