The Best Crafts Forums in the UK
Leftie

Help with crochet pattern

Hi all,

I'm not too sure if this is the correct forum but I really need some help!.

I started learning to crochet about a week ago and I have most of the basic stitches down but I picked up a copy of Knitting and Crochet because there was a really cute pattern for some Critter coasters but the wording has left me really confused.

Rnd 2: 1ch, (1dc, 2dc in next stitch) to end. Join with a sl st to first st. 18 Sts

Rnd 3: 1ch, (2dc in first st, 2dc) to end, join with a sl st to first st. 24 sts

The part in bold is where I am lost, I put 2 double crochets in the first stitch but if I put 2 dc's in the rest of the stitches it adds up to a lot more than 24 stitches.

Hi and welcome to the forum Leftie.

(2dc in first st, 2dc) this means do 2 dc in first st, dc in next st, dc in next st.

You are basically increasing in every 3rd stitch. If you need any further help let me know

That helped a lot thank you so much but now i'm stuck on the next round. the next round has confused me even more.

Rnd 4: 1ch (3dc, 2dc in next st) to end, join with a sl st to first stitch. 30sts

It's getting me so frustrated because I really want to accomplish this but for one reason or another it's just not clicking on how to read the pattern.

I've done 3 dcs in the first then 2 in the next then 1 for all the others and it made 27, I've tried doing 3dcs in the first then increasing by 2dcs every 3rd stitch and i can't get it to 30 stitches.

Rnd 4: 1ch (3dc, 2dc in next st) to end, join with a sl st to first stitch. 30sts

The instructions in brackets mean (1dc in each of next 3 sts, then 2dc in next st) effectively increasing 1st every 4th st.

Repeat the instructions in the brackets all along the row/round

Edited by Knit'n'stitchSue