The Best Crafts Forums in the UK
Nicola J

Personal Information *UPDATE*

Thanks for this Nicola - you reminded me of one more thing. I've made sure on my profile that my email isn't visible, and I only accept pms. Even though my email address on here isn't linked to my name, and is a spare one, I like to keep forum contacts 'on the forum' unless I choose to give it out.

Don't forget to check your profile to see what is being given out.

I'd also like to suggest that the default settings are changed, so that email addresses aren't public unless we ask them to be. If you're new to forums (and I was) you might not realise what is (and isn't) public.

Glowingsheep

I also worry that people put too much personal info on their blogs! If you are well known and you post you are going on holiday for example, all the burglars will be able to plan their activities!

Actually - I got a shocker not too long ago. As my daughter was helping me set up a blog and one starts with Freehartz and I wanted to try to use a search engine to see if it would locate my blog in case say one of you wanted to find me but couldn't exactly remember the email address, so ok......I put in 'Freehartz' on the search query and ...almost every conversation I have had on here came up!

I looked and saw so many entries for Freehartz, and slowly realized & I said......"wha-, what are my CB conversations doing here?"

I thought what comes on here - stays on here all this time.

My daughter explained that this IS a PUBLIC FORUM and so we are able to be found on the internet as we talk here! So that is more to consider. Just FYI.

Yes I have done that too, scary stuff! Also I recently lost a friend's phone number and address and googled his name and found not only his work details but his home details too!