The Best Crafts Forums in the UK
Sign in to follow this  
Lauren1366717255

Fimo! :-S

I've used fimo soft clay for a while now and keep getting dishearted with it. I'm just not good with the clay at all - I can't seem to make anything of any use. A few weeks ago I decided to give it a go again when I saw a skinner blend cane made without a pasta machine. I kept trying and trying but the colours just did not mix and instead I ended up with two sides of different colours and no graduation even when I followed instructions and folded and folded the clay. I used fimo soft clay and am really disappointed as I have wasted two blocks of clay. Has anyone got any ideas? Why won't the colours mix?

Sorry, I'm as bad!!!! I gave away most of my clay, as even with a pasta machine my results weren't good!!!! All i now make with it is mini choc bars and cookies using molds.

Both Caroline and Max make some lovely fimo things though, as do a few other members on here, so hopefully they'll be along soon to help!

x

Are you folding the clay colour to same colour? it is difficult without a pasta machine but is possible, with pasta mach it takes about 20 folds, so with hand roller it would take more.

I am new to Fimo started using it last week, I tried to mix my white and pink to make a lighter one I rolled it first but it was no use as the white just stayed in the middle, so I kind of folded it in using my hands, itgwim, it worked then, It did take a while though. I have noticed some of you say you use moulds, where do you get them from or have you made them?.

Sally xxxx

If you just want to lighten the clay, roll 2 snakes and twist them together keep doing this till mixed, but if you want a skinner blend ie: 2 colours on outside with paler in middle, cut 2 triangles each with a blunt part at 1 end, put together and fold, roll & fold the same way each time it should work, good luck, I love my clay.

:))

Hi there,

I just came across this query while looking back through the forum - you'll be pleased to hear that there will be a Try This! devoted to Skinner blends in issue 30 of Make Jewellery, which goes on sale on 26th August. Our very own Corinne Bradd demonstrates how to create a basic two colour Skinner blend in a series of fully illustrated steps, so hopefully your future attempt will be more successful. If you're still having problems, write in to our Jewellery SOS thread or email melissa@aceville.co.uk and I'll see if our experts can provide more advice. Good luck!

Melissa Hyland

Deputy Editor