The Best Crafts Forums in the UK
Sign in to follow this  
elainelgc

Should schools teach knitting?

I was taught knitting and sewing at school, but sewing was never my strong point!! I'm a primary teacher and I teach knitting to my pupils, in fact we're embarking on a patchwork cushion as a gift for a special lady for her 100th birthday....wish me luck with that one, please :-))

I was taught knitting and sewing at school, but sewing was never my strong point!! I'm a primary teacher and I teach knitting to my pupils, in fact we're embarking on a patchwork cushion as a gift for a special lady for her 100th birthday....wish me luck with that one, please :-))

Good for you .... Hope your pupils enjoy making their special project .... If I was still teaching I'd include knitting somewhere for the children .......

I think definitely knitting/crochet should be taught - so many children think the real world revolves around a computer console, and many young children suffer with depression through having difficult lives - crafts which are repetitive are proven to ease depression (i'm literally LIVING proof of this) and I think many children would benefit.

Apart from the fact that they can produce original garments for themselves - i fully intend to teach my son, and would love to volunteer my time to children............. but i have no time at present.

xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Wishing you lots of luck with that! We'd love to see a photo for our letters page when it's done!