The Best Crafts Forums in the UK
Sign in to follow this  
Giddyknits

NEW!! Knitty Challenge - ENDS 14TH FEBRUARY 2010 - give a hat to a stranger - what's the Big Issue?!?! - NOW CLOSED

Hi there

Well, here it is - I've been musing for a few days now and I've come up with a challenge - for Charity.

What you have to do is, knit a woolly hat, then put it in your shopping bag, and when you see either, a homeless person, or a big issue seller - you give it to them. Its safe for you, there's no postage involved sending it to a charity for them to distribute, and you see the person's face who receives it - warm glow all round. If you feel a little bit shy about going up to a stranger, put yourself in their shoes, they have to do that every day. And, in a world that isnt full to the brim of genuine people, even if they are a fake and not a "real" homeless person, they still need help on some level dont they?

NOW, the rules

1. You can only use 1 pattern - here it is

YOU WILL NEED - CHUNKY WOOL - OR, 2 STRANS OF DK TOGETHER AND SIZE 5.5MM NEEDLES

CAST ON 84 STITCHES,

PATTERN - K2 P2 TO END - THATS IT!

KNIT TILL 9.5" LONG

FINAL ROW - K2TOG, P2TOG TO END

THEN THREAD YARN THROUGH STITCHES AND PULL TIGHT, SEAM UP SEAM etc etc

This is the pattern I have been using for my "C" hats and it is as easy as pie, there's no shaping, and i kid you not, they fit every size head imaginable! Its also aimed at all levels too - so everyone can have a go at at least one hat.

2. There is NO LIMIT to the amount of hats you can do, and therefore enter into the competition.

3. You must put a pic of the hat on here - no need for photographic evidence of handing the present over - the recipient may not want that.

There are 2 prizes up for grabs -

1. one prize for the most inventive use of the above pattern, the only criteria is that the pattern should be recognisable - so as long as its K2 P2 thats fine! No limit on amount of colours etc

2. one prize for the most number of hats knitted and given away.

The deadline is so long away as, lets face it, how horrible is January and February? how nice would it be to have a present during those bleak ole weeks?

What's more, its the most amazing stash buster ever, as we all have dk knocking about the place don't we!!

Sooooooooooooooooo my lovely pals, are we in?!

xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Ooooh what a good idea! I'm in for definite - just got to re-locate those Big Issue sellers who lets face it could do with a cozy hat in our rather rainy weather!! :-)

if you cant find any su2ie, I'm sure you will see a willing recipient knocking about - could even stretch the criteria to be a busker! Just someone who looks a bit down on their luck, we've all seen them (unfortunately)

xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx