The Best Crafts Forums in the UK
Sign in to follow this  
Su2ie

Terrific Thursday

Had a joint account with my ex and never used it as he always said if I drew anything out then he wouldn't know where he was with the monies!

Easier in some respects to have it separate.

I think my mum think's that.But with her she is thinking of Brian controlling me(you know projecting how her own husband was rather than how things actually are).

But then again there is a lot to be said for your own money

Thing is you know where you are with your own money. I would hate it if I thought oooh I have enough in my account to pay for that only to find the OH has used it for something else! It seemed the done thing back in the day to get a joint account once you were married/living together but my experience is it doesn't make any difference, you end up getting controlled as you have to account for every penny you spend with a joint account!

We have our own personal accounts which our individual wages go into. We then have a joint account which we both pay the same ammount into each month for the mortgage, bills and food. Plus anything else for the animals, house or car.

It certainly works for us! If we need extra money in the account we agree how much and put equal in. Everything is 50/50. Then we can spend our own money on what we want, safe in the knowledge there is money for the house etc.

I can't imagine doing anything other than this.