The Best Crafts Forums in the UK
Sign in to follow this  
Su2ie

What do you most LIKE about knitting

Just been reading the fantastic posts.

Personally for me I love the fact that i am doing a hobby that is seen as too old for me and not very hip, cool or trendy (which i don't really care about, i am learning a new skill and enjoying it). As we all know its only Grannies and expectant mothers that knit and as i am neither it means that i should not do it. I get lots of looks of 'what, why?' when i tell people that i knit. They seem to accept me cross stitching more readily then knitting for some strange reason.

I also love that this has brought me closer to my nana as i ask for help with the practical stuff and when i go back home i can appreciate yarn shops and their goodies more as i take my nana yarn shopping and obviously for a cream cake and tea. We can share patterns and often i take issues of my magazines up to her.

I like that it helps me relax. I deal with people who are living with cancer and i often take my work home in my head and knitting has helped me unwind so i don't burn out.

Well there is a lot of very good reasons to like knitting Suzymax.

Cross stitching does not come with the bizarre stereotyping that knitting does, that is why people don't say crazy things about it.

I don't know what I was thinking in my over a decade away from kniting...I did cross stitch a bit...but apart from that...what was I doing with my hands? What was I wearing? Probably best forgotten!

I have stopped paying attention to those who laugh at my way of relaxing. I enjoy it and have 'met' very nice people on here to share my enjoyment with.

Its bringing me closer to my family who live over 200 miles away.

I think people who 'snort' at the craft of knitting and crocheting are perhaps jealous that they do not have the patience to try.

What sense is there in snorting anyway...are you making them do it?

They might be jealous because it gives you happiness Suzymax.

Stay close to that family...we don't have to apologise for it.

I mentioned the headband I had made for Ellie at toddlers on Wednesday and got the response "Are you still doing that knitting thing?"

Tomorrow I intend to have Ellie wear it and show it off and show them, ha!