The Best Crafts Forums in the UK
Sign in to follow this  
Su2ie

Sun hat and felted bag

Hello there,

Just wanted to share my latest makes with you all. The sun hat was knit from the Kat pattern in June's LK although with a finer cotton thread on smaller needles so it would fit a toddler and I added a ruffle at the bottom too. The bag is my own design and I made it for my mum's friend who saw the one I made for my mum and wanted one too :)

Oh and yes, that's the bruise on my DD's nose that she picked up yesterday in our local craft shop :-S

In the the words of the great Ron Weasley (Harry Potter) Suzie 'that's bloody brilliant'. I might need one of those. I'm one of those people that hates wearing hats,but I really appreciate them on other people. How lovely - I think I might need one of those if only to put on Sally. (Sally is my empathy doll for work that we've to treat as a real child, so she's to have her own peg, tray,etc - I've even bought her her own name tapes for her clothes)

Right I need to know EXACTLY what wool did you use (brand colours and everything) and what size needles.

Toys I can adapt and modify, but never having knit a hat I could well come unstuck!

Poor Ellie, she's still gorgeous though bless her.

Well the yarn I used was Adriafil Fruttamix 100% cotton colour 041. I used 3.5mm needles (short cirular & dpns) then for the frill at the bottom when I finished the hat I picked up 120 stitches (4mm circular), purled a row, increased by knitting into the front and back of each stitch to get 240 stitches, purled another round. Then think I may have k 1 round, purled 1 round then K2 increased by K into front and back of next stitch to the end then K & P'd a few more rounds before casting off! By this time I was on longer 4mm circular as there were so many stitches. The frill bit wasn't on the original pattern but I made a booboo as I didn't think I'd done the hat long enough for Ellie so added the frill. Also didn't do exact measurements on the Kat hat as I was down sizing for a toddler.

Hope that makes sense!!!