The Best Crafts Forums in the UK
Sign in to follow this  
dizzydo

Hi from Let’s Knit

Hi everone, Sel those recipies are fab I must give them a try. I know what you mean about lamb being a bit fatty in the slow cooker. Except for a leg of lamb of course, that's just fantastic!! Did you ever try venison? The slow cooker is great for that. Just wanted to ask is Ras el Hanout a hot spice? I cook in the slow cooker a lot and generally try not to have to cook a sepatate meal for the boys ( aged 1 and 2 & 1/2).

Hiya Diet girl, I love venison, we are the venison family.....................the last time we had it, we had one of our French friends over, I made my mackeral pate to start, and hubby made his venison stew (didn't have slow cooker at the time) but this time the stew had some...................wait for it......................dark chocolate in it %-P .....................I made my infamous garlic mash potatoes to go with it.....................what a meal, our friend was rather delighted that the both of us love to cook and do it not to badly either. Another great night was had by all.

The Ras el Hanout has.............. :galangal, rosebuds, black pepper, ginger,cardamom, nigella, cayenne, allspice, lavender, cinnamon, cassia, coriander, mace, nutmeg and cloves. It is not a firey spice mix as you can see, it is more flavoursome , if you have wee ones, I would maybe start with a tsp and if it is slightly too much for the kids, just mix theirs with natural yoghurt...............?

Sel x

yipeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee :) am now a junior member!

clink...................clink.....................................................hic

Sx

ZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz.......

Hey Sel well done on becoming a Junior member - I've now dropped the Junior bit and I'm just a member!!!

Fantastic too on impressing the French friends with cooking :-) Oh and that list of ingredients was a bit different to wikipedias so I've copied it too! So whats this garlic mashed potatoes recipe???

Maybe you should start a cooking thread :cheese:

Lordy that Garlic mashed potato recipe HAS to be posted asap!! What a myriad of spices in the ReH, it's new to me I must try source it... Maybe you could set up an on-line shop?? :)

I'm lucky my OH's hobby is hunting (totally legal, has the licences etc) and we have woodland not too far away where deer have to be culled for environmental reasons, took me a while to get used to the stronger taste of venison over other meats, but the whole family enjoys it now (How weird is this.. to be on a knitting forum and chatting about venison!!!! :lol: talk about going off on a tangent!) I find it best when frozen for a few months then marinated.

Away from that I agree with Susie that you should start a cooking thread then we can all contribute. I've a recipe for the easiest and most delicious lemon cake that you've EVER tasted if anyone's interested. Mixed and baked in 40mins. Bring it to playgroup regularly and they go mad for it.

I had an unusual day, visited Mum who is doing well but if I'm honest I truly believe she is dying of lonliness, she's 80 (Daddy died Xmas eve) It's so hard to leave her and go back home. Am afriad every time I phone that she won't answer :down: Sorry, had to tell someone.

Its okay Jennifer - would rather you share your worries than keep it all inside. Can't remember if you said but does your mum live far away from you? Only asking as thought she might be able to stay for a weekend if you have the space and you would probably both feel a whole lot better then :)

Just a thought anyway. Or maybe there are some local groups she could join if she is mobile enough? My mum goes to a group for "older ladies" once a week and really enjoys it although she is still fortunate enough to have my dad around.

Sorry took so long to reply, was trying to upload a piccie of me wearing my FO "Aleena" from issue 17 but the file is too big apparently. Will have to get OH to show me how to reduce size of format to less than 2Kb's. Anyone know how to do this?!

Hi Susie, I'm weary from asking her up. I think she thinks she'll be deserting his memory (if that makes any sense). She's still very much in mourning. Lives 46 mile from me, not too far, takes about an hour and a quarter. But I went into his room today and his slippers are still beside the bed (Soooo sad). She's just not ready to leave him (or his memory) yet. They were together 64 years.