Chic papercraft elements that embrace tonal hues
What you need...
- Card: white, matt cream, kraft, gold speckled, copper embossed
- Watercolour paints: yellow, orange, bronze, red, brown
- Stamps: WOW Embossing Powder, Just Saying; Flights of Fancy
- Embossing ink-pad
- Metallic gold embossing powder
- Water brush
- Water mister
- Gold ribbon
About the Technique - If you like the soft, blended look of watercolours, you’ll love this fun technique that uses Rare Earth's Load 'N' Fold tool. As a crafter, I often use this gadget to re-stamp images that haven't printed well, and it was while I was using it that I thought, 'If inky stamps can make an impression, then why not try wet media?'. I tested out the technique and it worked the first time! Simply scribble one side with watercolour paints, then spritz with water and carefully fold closed onto white card that's been secured on the other side. The result should be a fabulous coloured background! You could also use your ink-pads or waterbased markers to make a similar effect, too.
1. Secure card onto one side of the Load 'N' Fold tool.
2. Apply a random wash of tonal watercolour paints to the other side.
3. Spritz the watercolour paints lightly with water.
4. Press the tool together, then lift carefully to reveal the background.
Hello Card - 1 Create a background using three tonal watercolours with the step-bystep guide. Leave it to dry, then stamp and emboss 'Hello' in the upper right corner. Apply embossing ink to all four sides of the watercolour piece, then cover with embossing powder and heat-set.
2 Mount the design on gold speckled card, then cream. Make a kraft card blank, 15cm square, and glue the mounted piece in the centre. Stamp and emboss three leaves on white card, cut out and adhere to the front with foam tape. Tie a knot in gold ribbon, then attach as shown.
Thank You Watercolour - 1 Follow the guide to make a background using yellow, orange, and red watercolour paints. Leave it to dry, then splatter with a watery wash of brown. Stamp and emboss 'Thanks', as pictured. Apply embossing ink to all four sides of the watercolour piece, cover with embossing powder and heat-set.
2 Mount the design on cream card, then copper embossed card on cream. Wrap the copper with gold ribbon and secure the watercolour piece in the centre. Create a kraft card blank, 10cm x 15cm, and attach the design on top. Stamp and emboss two leaves on white card, cut out and adhere to the front with foam tape. Tie a knot in gold ribbon, then secure as shown.
Projects you may also like...
- DIY Painted Homeware
- Rainbow Cards with Colouring Pens
- Papercraft Scandi Houses
- Contemporary Die-Cut Christmas Cards
- Cute Christmas Wishes Card
- Stitched Snow Princess Doll
- Easy Layered Snowman Christmas Card
- How to Make Christmas Bath Bombs at Home
- Classic Christmas Illustrations & Calligraphy With POSCA