Be in the mood for love wearing Helen Cant’s vintage-inspired set
What you need...
- HEART NECKLACE Cream pearls, 10mm x 6, Blue faceted glass rondelles, 10mm x 4, Red faceted glass rounds, 8mm x 4, Red and white striped ribbon, 10mm wide x 64cm, Bead caps x 20, Heart bezel, 51mm x 61mm, Jump rings, 5mm,Jump rings, 7mm,Jump rings, 10mm, Large link chain x 18cm, Extension chain, Head pins, Lobster clasp, Ribbon clamps
- TOOLS Pliers, round-nosed, flat-nosed, Wire cutters, Gedeo doming and glazing resin, Measuring cups in millilitres, Disposable mixing cups, Lolly sticks, Cocktail sticks, Heat gun, PVA glue, Paintbrush, Paper, photo quality, matt coated, 170GSM
Printing Images - Download the required PDF file for this project from the link provided on this page. Load a piece of good quality matt coated photo paper into your printer. For optimum printing quality, ensure your printer is set to its highest quality level in the preferences menu. Also, to make the images fit the bezels perfectly, ensure that you print the file at its actual size, rather than selecting the 'fit to page' option. Once printed, leave the paper for at least an hour to allow the ink to fully dry.
Heart Necklace - 1. Print the images following the guidelines above. Cut out the heart image, coat the reverse with PVA then position into a large heart bezel. Press down well then leave to dry. Apply six coats of PVA glue to seal the paper, going right to the very edges and allowing to dry between each. Once the last coat is completely free of moisture, prepare 5ml of glazing resin according to the manufacturer’s instructions.
2. Pour a small amount of resin into the centre of the bezel and spread out to the edges with a lolly stick, adding more resin as necessary to fill. Remove any air bubbles by gently heating the resin for a few seconds at a time with a heat gun, and popping with a cocktail stick. Leave to dry away from sources of fluff and dust for 24 hours or until fully set.
3. Cut 32cm of wide striped ribbon. Fold in half and secure the ends together with a ribbon clamp. Repeat to create a matching length. Cut 18cm of large link chain then attach a length of ribbon either side with 10mm jump rings.
4. Thread a bead cap, 10mm blue bead, 8mm red bead and another bead cap onto a head pin. Trim the excess and form a loop with round-nosed pliers. Repeat to create three matching drops. Make up a further six head pins with a single 10mm pearl and two bead caps.
5. Attach the heart bezel to the middle of the chain with a 7mm jump ring, then add the bead drops either side with 5mm jump rings. Secure a lobster clasp and extension chain to the necklace with jump rings.
Designer Tip - Use good quality matt coated photo paper to print the images for the best clarity of colour and detail once the resin is applied.
Try another... - Create matching earrings by hanging Eiffel Tower charms, ivory rose beads and ribbon bows from ear wires.
Make it Yours - As a variation on the red, cream and blue colour scheme, why not try black and white for a more classic look.