BOOST SUMMER SALES WITH BEACH-THEMED SHRINK PLASTIC JEWELLERY
What you need...
- BEADS Glass, round: 6mm, pink x 2; 8mm, blue x 3; 10mm, red x 3 Cotton-wrapped, round, 15mm x 18mm, blue and cream x 4, Pearls, round, 12mm x 4; 8mm x 2, Metallic, round, 6mm x 8, Charm, anchor, silver-plated, Ribbon, 5mm, striped red and white
- FINDINGS Shrink plastic,inkjet, white, Chain, silver-plated:extra large link; largelink; small link;extension x 2, Jump rings,silver-plated; 5mm;6mm; 8mm, Head pins,silver-plated, Clasps, silver-plated:lobster; toggle, Earwires, Eye pins
- TOOLS Computer with image editing software, Printer, inkjet, Oven or heat gun, Craft knife, Cutting mat, Hole punch, small,single, circular, Acrylic spray, can, Cutters, wire, Pliers, round-nosed, Scissors,Tape measure, Nail varnish, clear
How to... Print our FREE motifs - 1. Download our PDF file, Open the first page of the file using image editing software such as Photoshop or GIMP. For optimum printing quality, ensure the resolution of the page is set to 300 pixels per inch. In Photoshop and GIMP this can be done in the ‘import’ dialogue box which appears when opening the document. Also ensure the page opens at US letter size which is 215.9mm (8.5”) in width by 279.4mm (11”) in height. If using Photoshop, also ensure that crop to ‘media box’ is selected in the drop down list under the page options.
2. As the colours will intensify once the plastic is shrunk, lighten the motifs before printing by reducing the opacity which can be found in the layers palette. This can be made visible in Photoshop by clicking the Windows menu then the layers option, or in GIMP by clicking the windows menu followed by the layers option in the drop down list under ‘dockable dialogs’. You may need to experiment a little, but as a guide for most the opacity will need to be reduced to around 60% to 70%.
3. Before printing, double check that the page is set to print at US letter size. In Photoshop, click the file menu then the print option. In GIMP, click the file menu then the print option and look under the image settings tab. Also ensure that the paper size is set to US letter size under your printer’s own options menu and that the print orientation is set to portrait. As a size guide, the boat motif should measure approximately 11.3cm at its tallest point once printed. Ensure that your printer is set to print at full size and at its highest quality level, then load a sheet of shrink plastic, print the motifs and leave to dry for at least an hour. Repeat to open and print the second page of the document.
Beach Hut Necklace - 1. Cut the beach hut and largest starfish motif from the shrink plastic. Punch a hole at the top of the beach hut, a second on the left-hand side, then a third at the right-hand side, 1cm down from the first hole. Punch holes in the two righthand legs of the starfish, and another at the top-left through the body.
2. Shrink the motifs, leave to fully cool, then apply three coats of acrylic spray as before. Using two 8mm jump rings, secure the starfish to the left-hand side of the beach hut. Cut one 20cm length and one 22cm length of small link silver-plated chain. Use more jump rings to attach the shorter chain to the starfish and the longer length to the right-hand side of the beach hut. Cut 25cm of striped ribbon, thread through a link of chain to the right of the charm and tie a bow. Trim any excess ribbon, then apply clear nail varnish to the ends to prevent fraying. Attach a jump ring, extension chain and lobster clasp to the ends of the chain.
Make it yours - Boost your collection with matching charm bracelets. Created with a selection of shrink plastic charms and beaded head pins, they’d be a great seller at craft fairs.