• Please log in to reply

#1 Posted 28 July 2017 - 05:03 PM

Jinkie
Jinkie

• Members
    Pip
  • 6 posts
  • Members

I know this might sound like a stupid question, but, I have very recently treat myself to a die cutting machine and some dies and am wondering if you use them with fabric does it ruin them? Also, do the dies last a long time or do they wear out after so many uses? 

Any advice gratefully received! Also any tips?

#2 Posted 29 July 2017 - 09:08 AM

Bigbunniesuk
Bigbunniesuk

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • 9,204 posts
  • Moderators
  • LocationBedfordshire

It depends on the die - it needs to be one of the thick "steel rule" type dies with sharp cutting edges hidden inside a pad.  I think they will probably get blunt eventually, but how many million times will you want to cut the same shape?  Fabric certainly won't ruin them.  If they do get a little blunt over the years and don't cut first time, rotate the die by 90 degrees and run it through again.  The rollers on the machines wear over time too so don't use exactly the same position each time, try to vary it to spread the wear if you can. 

#3 Posted 29 July 2017 - 03:32 PM

Jinkie
Jinkie

• Members
    Pip
  • 6 posts
  • Members

''If they do get a little blunt over the years and don't cut first time, rotate the die by 90 degrees and run it through again.  The rollers on the machines wear over time too so don't use exactly the same position each time, try to vary it to spread the wear if you can.'' 

​That's great to know, thank you!

#4 Posted 30 July 2017 - 01:52 PM

Bigbunniesuk
Bigbunniesuk

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • 9,204 posts
  • Moderators
  • LocationBedfordshire

You're welcome  :)

#5 Posted 12 August 2017 - 08:19 PM

Goose
Goose

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • 14,066 posts
  • Moderators
  • LocationNewcastle upon Tyne UK

Not that mine are blunt but I have heard said if you cut some kitchen foil with them it is supposed to sharpen them up a bit.

Might be an old wives tail but worth a try.

You can buy "deeper" dies such as Debbie Shore which are specifically for fabric too

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users